Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 2, 2015, 6:58 AM   #1

Default Extension Tube/extras for fz200

I have been using the LA55 extension tube on my fz200 but it has been suggested that it is too short and to use the LA7. What are your thoughts on this?

I am getting into photography more now so would be interested to know what extras people use on their FZ200 camera as I haven't bought any so far so recommendations would be good especially compatibles as Panasonic is expensive and I hear compatibles are ok to use.

I like to shoot macro but also wildlife/birds.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2015, 3:49 PM   #2

What you have is an adapter tube, not an extension tube. If it was too short, the lens would "crash" into the conversion lens. I think Panasonic allows for clearance with a filter on the lens.

If the lens doesn't smash into the backside of your converter, you must be ok.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 5:25 PM   #3

Thanks, so I got it mixed up. What extension tube would I need?

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old May 2, 2015, 5:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks, so I got it mixed up. What extension tube would I need?
I don't know what you mean. What you have is an adapter tube. An extension tube is something completely different. An Extension tube goes between the body and lens of a dslr or ILC.

You have an adapter tube that mounts on the body and supports your conversion lens. You said it works and you're using it. Why get a different one?
Old May 2, 2015, 7:28 PM   #5

G'day E

As BB says - you don't need an extension tube ... they are for dSLR cameras only

BTW- the FZ200 does not need the old adapter tube from the FZ35 !!
The FZ200 has a 55mm filter thread on the end of the lens and you just screw the LC55 onto the lens

Once the LC55 is on the camera lens, it will force the focus down to 20inches / 50cm [as the LC55 is a +2 dioptre strength lens]. Once the camera is at [or about] this distance, you can zoom in & out to your heart's content changing the size of the image without affecting the focus

NB- if the camera was in 'lens-macro / yellow-flower mode' the focus would change every time the zoom lens changed

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 9:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day E

As BB says - you don't need an extension tube ... they are for dSLR cameras only

BTW- the FZ200 does not need the old adapter tube from the FZ35 !!
The FZ200 has a 55mm filter thread on the end of the lens and you just screw the LC55 onto the lens

Once the LC55 is on the camera lens, it will force the focus down to 20inches / 50cm [as the LC55 is a +2 dioptre strength lens]. Once the camera is at [or about] this distance, you can zoom in & out to your heart's content changing the size of the image without affecting the focus

NB- if the camera was in 'lens-macro / yellow-flower mode' the focus would change every time the zoom lens changed

Hope this helps
Phil

I "think" the FZ200 has 52mm threads on the lens. It sounds like she's using the LA5 adapter tube instead of the LA7 that is suggested. And it works. That's why I can't understand what she wants to change or why.

She also has the 1.7 teleconverter, so she needs the adapter tube.

Last edited by BBbuilder467; May 2, 2015 at 9:21 PM.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:51 PM   #7

G'day BB

Our FZ200 takes all our 55mm dia ND filters & close-up lenses directly on the lens barrel
edit- BB My apols .... it is 52mm dia {a freudian typo made it 55mm and I didn't notice the error earlier}

Eysha - as Bob makes reference to ... -if- you want to use the [big & heavy] 1,7x tele-converter that makes your 24x zoom go to 40x zoom, you MUST use the adapter tube to take the extra weight off the small zoom lens motors

However for your closeups of flowers & insects around the garden it is okay to use the LC55 close-up lens directly onto the camera's zoom lens

Hope this helps
Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; May 4, 2015 at 6:03 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2015, 9:42 PM   #8

The specs have the lens on the FZ200 as 52mm and the filters at 52mm. Everywhere I could find had it listed as 52mm filter threads. The adapter is 55mm. If that's true, the OP can't be putting the adapter or the close-up lens or teleconverter on the lens.

Why does the OP think she needs a longer adapter tube when she says that it works now? She has to be mounting it on the body. She has the LA5 adapter, not the LA7 that is supposed to be used with the FZ200.

When the OP referred to the +2 diopter as a "macro lens" on the Nikon dslr forum, that's what they thought she meant. That's probably where the "extension tube" reference came from.

Look back at her initial post. She's using the LA5 adapter and it works, but someone, somewhere, told her it's too short for some reason.

That's what I don't understand. Why buy a generic version of an adapter tube that you already have? And you have it and know it works.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:19 AM   #9

BB I seem to have mixed up extension tubes for DSLR cameras and adapter tubes for the 200. My mistake.
Thanks Phil always helpful.

Old May 4, 2015, 4:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
BB I seem to have mixed up extension tubes for DSLR cameras and adapter tubes for the 200. My mistake.
Thanks Phil always helpful.
But, what is the "question"?

Why do you think you need a longer adapter tube?

Are you concerned about the lens smashing into the conversion lens, or did you think making it longer would be like adding extension tubes to a dslr lens?