Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:52 PM   #51

Pjskelti
Quote:
…they'd like to be able to do more image manipulation themselves to get the best possible output from their camera.
That is precisely where we differ. Just like it now seems agreed that there is only a very small difference between RAW and good JPEG images, I can’t see where there is much manipulation you can do in RAW that I can’t from JPEG.

I have no problem with people who want to use RAW for whatever reason, but too many of them (not you) make extravagant claims about the advantages of that.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 7:41 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito
OK, thanks for replying. I already have both of those magazines, I was hoping for another review.
Spotted another magazine tonight, Total Digital Photogaphy. Final rating was 81%, but they have a rather lame "Styling" rating which is wholly dependant on the reviewers opinion; when the reviewer describes it as a retro-70's look for the FZ10, you can see where his "Styling" rating of 75% came from, which helped drag it down from mid-80's for performance and features and a 90 for value.

Why they have a "Styling" rating, I have no idea.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the lack of a RAW/Uncompressed TIFF format was noted once again, though the reviewer didn't make much of it though.
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:51 PM   #53

Thank you for passing that on. I've never seen that magazine, but I'll look for it this weekend. I rather fancy the styling of the FZ10, but it's just like you said, that is a personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YenRug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito
OK, thanks for replying. I already have both of those magazines, I was hoping for another review.
Spotted another magazine tonight, Total Digital Photogaphy. Final rating was 81%, but they have a rather lame "Styling" rating which is wholly dependant on the reviewers opinion; when the reviewer describes it as a retro-70's look for the FZ10, you can see where his "Styling" rating of 75% came from, which helped drag it down from mid-80's for performance and features and a 90 for value.

Why they have a "Styling" rating, I have no idea.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 4:06 AM   #54

I love my FZ10 . I have started carrying it daily. I create meetings, take notes, record bills, play, listen to music. I stopped taking convenience pictures with my cell phone.

I am extensively involved in imaging and as an EE I understand more compression nuances algorithms, lossy, lossless variables and tradoffs than most, and find the feature set satisfies my camera needs.

The viewfinder matches the performance of my manual Nikon F3
which gets dim in low light. I can just imagine some design team being challenged by Rollei or Panasonic the design problem to create a digital retro camera this look and sound to the comsumer like an old 35mm slr so it will seem familiar and they will buy it, I think they succeeded immensly in copying a manual camera in manual mode. I have two other digital cameras, I no longer use since I got the Lumix FZ-10.
My fine old Nikon 35mm F3 classic has a similar look and feel and quality.

The FZ-10 camera is so lightweight even with a spare battery, that I can the battery charger, even though I would only rarely need it on the go, to remind me that there is something in the bag!

As for pixels in video mode, I have a video camera. I use the fc-10 for different purposes and am way happy with the length of recording available from the little bateries.

I am amazed with the macro capabilities. The lens hood provides a manual focus fixed spacer that is just the right distance for copy shots on a lightbox with a turn on the focus ring, which is way cool and handy for copying low contrast impossible to focus
otherwise zoomed x-ray images. A infinite focus button would not allow for temperature variation in the optics (thermal expansion).
A little overfocus provides a way to compensate for temperature and production variation.
It is amazing though how 'spot on' the length of the hood is at the
max "infinite" manual focus twist, when using the hood as a copy stand on the lightbox at room temperature.

I can appreciate the processing going on to provide the compression. I was worried about jpeg. I like wavelet schemes. But for simple, easy, compact, useful images, I love what this camera produces, without my having to fiddle with post processing.

For my purposes I shoot and use the images in talks. Other images, I just place in folders for fond recollection.
I occasionally print something to share an idea.

In short, I love this camera as it is.
And I am looking forward to other features in future cameras, which I will probably buy, now that I know what an incredible value
Panasonic built into this camera.

And I appreciate Panasonic "Bob" as a representative being available and interested for technical responses. I have bought additional Panasonic products after using this camera and enjoying the fine pictures and education provided by the Panasonic forum topics. (Additional products purchased were
the Panasonic Fax kxfl 511 and the dmwfl28 flash).

(post edited 3/19/04. Too many St. Pats day green sugar cookies and late night posting, and long hours!)
miller342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:14 AM   #55

Just a point to correct you on - it's an FZ10, and not FC. You got it right once in your post - were you writing that after celebrating St. Patrick's Day?
pjskelti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 1:10 PM   #56

I have been wanting to post that the race is now on to design that perfect beast ie FZ10 with those upgrades covered here we all crave and @ a competitive price, this is your wake up call Panasonic... we have the technology lets have the perfection b4 Canon..

I hope you realise you have a winner here if...

THE RACE IS ON.. 1st out the gate, but, do we have the staying power ?

go fer it !
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote