Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:09 AM   #1

Default Panny DSLR Question

I am thinking of going up to a DSLR and wondered if anyone had a Panny DSLR and what it was like in comparison to the bridge cameras?

Which one would I be able to buy/use with the lenses I have already if any, see below?

I love my FZ200 but would like to move on now a bit so was thinking of going DSLR but in a Panny.

Thanks in advance.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:35 PM   #2

Panasonic has no DSLR anymore. But it has good 4/3 mirrorless system cameras.
They have different models, depending what you want to spend. If you need different lenses this will raise the price to.
The topmodel is the Lumix DMC-GH4.
Rudi

Last edited by rudimaes; Jul 17, 2015 at 12:48 PM.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:41 PM   #3

Many thanks. I was hoping to use the lens I have but I guess that is unlikely. If I cannot use the Panny lens I will look at other DSLR models, maybe Nikon, etc.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:23 PM   #4

If you don't want to hassle with lenses, another choice is the Lumix FZ1000. The big brother of the FZ200. A very fast and versatile bridge camera with excellent IQ.
I traded my Nikon DSLR for this camera and never regretted it.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:30 PM   #5

What you call lenses are screw-on converters. What you call a close-up lens is a diopter and the other is a 1.7 add-on teleconverter.

It has nothing to do with a dslr. The guys on the Nikon forum misunderstood that and got you confused.

What you need is a Panasonic micro 4/3 with a liveview viewfinder the size of a full frame and that acts like an FZ P&S. You want a mirrorless camera with liveview, not a dslr. It's no problem stepping up from the typical 52mm filter threads to the 55mm of the "lenses" you have, but you don't use that adapter tube.

The last thing you want is an obsolete Panasonic L1. You already have a Nikon dslr that you don't use.

All your past posts give the impression that what you need is "liveview" and jpeg. That's what the micro 4/3 does exceptionally well.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:09 PM   #6

Thanks. I no longer have the Nikon, it went long ago.

Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:28 PM   #7

I've had several Nikon Dslr's and I have loved using them but now that I have had the fz1000 for 3 mths and have got used to it my Nikon outfit will go.
I went to Switzerland this year and didn't bother to even take my Nikon, just the fz1000 , my wife couldn't believe it.
l also used it for a wedding with very good results because it switches from still to videos almost instantly, you cant beat a hybrid camera for making everyone happy. Just my 3 pennyworth / 3 cents worth.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:16 AM   #8

Thanks Deadshot, since I have the FZ200 and the FZ38 is there really a difference, especially between the 200 and the 1000? What difference is there in image quality? Do you have the 200 to compare?
I did like my Nikon but it was only a 6 meg and slow and I was missing so many shot with it so I got rid. I keep being told to go DSLR to be more creative and to improve and upgrade my photography but looking to cost I love macro and wildlife so buying a DSLR plus macro and long lens wouldn't be cheap so would go for second hand I guess. Maybe I could use the lens I have for the 200 on the 1000 - can I? I seem to be getting pulled both ways, DSLR and bridge and I am a little lost, lol.
I love photography but it can be so confusing to newbies, lol.
Thanks for the help.

Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:33 AM   #9

Hi eysha,
I too deliberated on various options ie I have the nikon 18 -200 but I wanted more reach so I tried out the nikon 18-300 mm, which got better dxo marks, however my tests showed it was no improvement performance wise even the extra 100mm isn't that great.
So I really liked my fz200 as a beach holiday camera but the extended digital zoom isn't very good so I stayed with optical zoom which is good.
I do like low light photography and tested the fz1000 against my Nikon D5100 18-200 out fit and found to my eyes no real difference up to 6400 even 12800 was comparable. So the fz1000 trumps the fz200 in low light, it also has two macro modes one being macro zoom which you can get by pressing a dedicated button, part of the 4 way controller. Macro zoom stops shorter than normal zoom but allows you to get pretty close.
Normal macro mode allows you to use as much zoom as you like but you are limited to a minimum focusing distance of about 1 mtre.
On a bright sunny day I doubt if you will see much difference between my old fz7 the fz200 or the fz1000 or even my nikon, I often have to look at meta data to see what camera I used. In poor light it's a different story the fz7 is nowhere the fz200 is acceptable the other two ,well I wouldn't like to live on the difference.The fz 1000's digital zoom is excellent , manual focus is very easy, better than the fz200, one thing it has is focus peaking which allows for very accurate focusing ,I use it a lot.The other feature I really like is constant preview, which shows you real time the effect of changes you make as you make them in the EVF or the LCD,ie is youre in A mode with auto iso turned off and you decide to close down a stop you instantly see the change. Also I find the light bars very usefull, when you are looking at your subject any slightly over exposed areas have stripes moving across them, you can then easily move to exposure compensation and go minus a third or more of a stop and actually see the effect, if you like it ,click.
It's not so much about how much better the fz1000 is than the fz200 or my nikon, it's the usability and speed of use the camera has that I really like .
I will still my keep fz200 because my wife likes it's video but had the fz1000 been out I wouldn't have bought it.
Go on to youtube , look up graham houghton, he has a video showing the difference between the fz 200 / fz1000 cameras photo's and videos.
Anything else I can help you with just come back to me.
Good luck
John
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:57 AM   #10

Thanks John, just looked at the price of the 100 and at over 600 it is a bit pricey. I am thinking I could get a DSLR for that. I have no one to pass my 200 onto unlike your wife as hubby and daughter have no interest in photography at all so the 38 is sitting collecting dust, prob wouldn't get much for it if sold it so kept it as backup for now. If I sold both cameras I might still not get enough to fund the 1000. Still cannot decide. See no point in buying another bridge. I get Graham's blogs and have followed him for ages now, nice man. Looking to a pre-loved DSLR I think and leaning towards Nikon again as they are better for lens than Canon I am told.