Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:16 AM   #1

Default Posting photo problem

I cannot for the life of me get a photo on this forum, I find the item and upload it , manage attachments, and nothing happens, what am I doing wrong. A couple of years ago I had the same issue , that is why I've been absent for so long, I do not have any bother with any other sites so what gives?
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:17 AM   #2

What is the error message you get? Did you fill in the caption for your thread? Is the size within permissible limits? The best way is to link a photo already on a website than upload an image, that way you don't have to worry about the size.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:28 AM   #3
Administrator

Here's a "sticky" thread that shows you how to include photos in posts here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...oto-forum.html

If you're discussing a photo on your hard drive, it's a simple matter of clicking on the paper clip icon in your toolbar (and if you don't see it, click on the button under the entry screen that switches you to "Advanced" mode so that the editing toolbar is visible)

That Paper Clip icon launches the Manage Attachments screen that lets you browse for an image on your hard drive and select it for uploading.

You will also see a "Management Attachments" button in the Additional Options section below the text entry box that accomplishes the same thing.

Make sure the image you select is a supported file type (.jpeg, .jpg, png, etc.) as shown on the manage attachments screen. Then after you use the Browse Button to select an image, click on the Upload Button next to the selected filename to upload the image to our servers so that it's visible in the post you're making.

If you get any error, chances are, the images are too large.

When you use the Manage Attachments feature (paperclip icon) to upload images, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes on the page that comes up.

The longest side should be no longer than 1024 pixels, and the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB.

Most of the time, if you downsize images so that they're within the allowed dimensions (longest side of 1024 pixels or shorter), and use a JPEG compression (Quality) setting of around 80 percent (or around 8 on a 1 to 10 scale) with the image editor you're using, you'll be within the allowed file size, too.

If you exceed the maximum allowed size (for either dimensions or file size), the forums software will still try to let you attach them. But, it will resize and recompress the images (and the algorithms leave something to be desired). But, if they're too large, sometimes the forums software will return errors instead of resizing them (which is probably what is happening to you).

Here's a screen capture showing the maximum sizes that you'll see when uploading images here. It's best to stick within those sizes (file size no larger than 253.9KB, longest dimension of 1024 pixels or shorter) to prevent the forums software from modifying your images and stripping out any EXIF info in them (since that can make them appear a bit softer due to the jpeg compression libraries the forums are using).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:28 PM   #4

Now I get "message is to short" What does that mean, I am posting a photo, not a message.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:49 PM   #5
Administrator

A post needs to have some text in it. too (not just a post with an attachment).

The minimum number of characters in a post is currently set to 4.

So, even something like "Photo 1" would be more than enough characters to meet that 4 character minimum, and most users are going to have a lot more info in a post that they include a photo with.

For example, "Here is a photo of my niece", "Here is a photo of New York at Night. Let me know what you think", etc..
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
A post needs to have some text in it. too (not just a post with an attachment).
Actually, I was about to suggest that, but I remember having posted quite a few photos (links) without any text. Going back to such photos and viewing them, I realized I have my signature text at the bottom on all photos, which probably satisfied that condition!