Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2004, 2:24 PM   #1

Default Macro for FZ10

I would like to buy a macro for my FZ10 camera.
There are three macros listed on B&H. The details listed are as follows:

B Macro 55 threads f=40 mm
MCON-35 62 threads f=35cm
MCON-40 55 threads f=cm? (I can't read it on the photo)

all three are listed as 2x magnification, 4 inch focus, and f/2 brightness.

Of course, they are made for different Olympus cameras, but I wonder which ones the FZ10 users have tried and how are they working? Is there a problem with vignetting using a step down adaptor or the pemaraal or yoshida adaptors. Which have you tried and how have they worked
bernard in delaware
lewisinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2004, 5:56 PM   #2

I bought the Raynox Macro Explorer set from B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=96092&is=REG

Although not shown in the photo it comes with a universal clip-on adapter (clips on the same way the FZ10's lens cap does). I just clip it right on to the lens, no other adapter needed. One important note - make sure you power the camera on so the lens extends before you clip on the macro lens.

Here are some pics I took for an online photo course last month (resized only, no cropping or other adjustments):

http://www.joannesplace.com/lvs_class/week5/week5.html

The ones marked "1.5x" and "2.5x" were taken with the Raynox lenses.

The really great thing about this set - besides the universal adapter - is that you use the lenses at full zoom yet you can be further away from the subject, so no camera shadow.
flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:27 PM   #3

Joanne thank you very much for posting your closeups.

They were very helpful. Considering that I can sharpen the images further in photoshop these are equal to anything I used to do with my Nikon macro lens.
Stratis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 4:14 AM   #4

Thanks Joanne for the very nice display of photos. Did you do any cropping? Is there any vignetting with these macro lenses?

bernard in delaware
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:30 AM   #5

No cropping, the pictures were just resized. There's no vignetting because the universal adapter for the macro lenses clips right on to the FZ10's lens - you don't use the lens hood or any other adapter. The universal adapter fits lenses from 52-67mm, the FZ10's lens is 62mm. The adapter is less than a half inch deep.

The lenses work best with the FZ10 at full zoom. As with other macro lenses I've read about, in order to focus you actually move the camera forward and backward in small increments until focus is achieved.

As I said before, one thing I really like is that you don't have to be right on top of the object you're shooting!

Oh, one more thing - to get the best depth of field you can bump up the aperture - if you read the EXIF info on my pics at the above link you'll see I had it at F8. (Wow, I actually sound like I know what I'm talking about )
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:44 AM   #6

Here's a picture of my macro explorer set:

The lenses screw into the adapter then the adapter clips onto the lens.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:19 PM   #7

Seems easy enough. I will order a set today. thanks Joanne.

bernard in delaware
Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:55 AM   #8

Does the adaptor shown come with the two lenses shown in the link to B&H? B&H doesn’t show it in their current illustration.

What is the diameter of the thread on the lenses? I already have a 49mm 3 lens Hoya set of close up lenses that I use on my Uzi and would love to use that adaptor for the FZ10.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 1:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Does the adaptor shown come with the two lenses shown in the link to B&H? B&H doesn’t show it in their current illustration.
Yes, the set consists of the adapter and the two lenses. On the B&H page if you click on "Item Includes" tab underneath the picture it lists the adapter.

Quote:
What is the diameter of the thread on the lenses?
I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that. Maybe if you email B&H customer service they can tell you.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 4:48 PM   #10

Thanks flakes.
Anyone who has got the lenses prepared to put a ruler to them and tell me the thread diameter?
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote