Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: What features would you like updated on the FZ10 or see in/on it's successor?
Automatic display compensation in low light conditions 19 21.11%
RAW output 15 16.67%
SuperFine JPEG output 20 22.22%
Ring based manual zoom (instead of electro-mechanical) with display feedback for zoom level 7 7.78%
One or more user configurable buttons for quick access to regularly changed menu settings 5 5.56%
Larger buffer to keep burst speed usable with SuperFine or RAW outputs 0 0%
Longer throw from built-in flash 1 1.11%
Focus-assist lamp 23 25.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:40 PM   #21

That's the way to do it!

Unfortunately Jeff, the voting system is predefined, and as such I can't make things happen the way I envisaged, so like what you've done, that's the only way to tell Panasonic what we want now and from future DCs of the FZ10's ilk.

Thank you for taking the extra time to compile yours as clearly and elegantly as you did - I'm sure Panasonic Bob will appreciate it and his counterparts in Japan should he forward this link (and Poll Part 2!) on to them.
pjskelti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:53 PM   #22

Default Noise

I've downloaded aprox 580 Mb of example pics over the last 4 months, deciding witch camera to buy. The FZ10 is one of the cleanest of all. Ony a couple of DSLRs ar better, and a few more expensive cameras are as good or almost as good.
jjmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:13 PM   #23

As Charlie has already said, the major problem is the evf dimming in full manual mode, as if one were taking a shot without flash, when an expernal flash in attached.

Getting an additional evf brightness boost would be even better, but I could live with just the first problem corrected.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:18 PM   #24

Thatís why I didnít start a poll in my original thread, there are just too many variables to take into account. Iím glad to see that we do have people participating though. So far, my number one request is in the lead, a better compression scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjskelti
Unfortunately Jeff, the voting system is predefined, and as such I can't make things happen the way I envisaged, so like what you've done, that's the only way to tell Panasonic what we want now and from future DCs of the FZ10's ilk.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:09 AM   #25

I share a couple with jjmead. (LOL. Hope you don't mind)

1.Provide Firmware updates (If have to pay a small fee $10 to $25 or so for upgrade. So be it.)

2.Automatic display compensation in low light conditions {off}

3. RAW output

4. Superfine JPEG output

5.Provide an Eye Cup for this camera

(If I only had one pick, it would be number 1)

Thanks for setting this up!
Seawise6
Seawise6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 7:03 AM   #26

As a digital novice I don't yet have enough experience to comment on exposure or low light performance of the FZ-10.
However there are a few improvements I would like to see in the successor:
:arrow: A FITTED CASE AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT(not even available as an 'extra' )

:arrow: A LENS THAT WILL ACCEPT FILTERS DIRECTLY(I don't like unprotected glass when I choose not to use the lens hood

:arrow: A REMOTE SHUTTER RELEASE

:arrow: A FOCUS INDICATOR LIGHT(not too hard surely!)
Richard Ticehurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:54 AM   #27

First of all, pjskelti thank you for this idea. I hope our voices will be heard by Pana people that can actually help. We should give them credit for making such an incredible camera and let them understand that we complain only to make this DC even more desirable and even more profit-generating (let's take a look at it from their angle too). So here it is:
Firmware:
:arrow: More compression levels and LESS in-camera image processing for better image quality (e.g. SHQ/Superfine and RAW)
:arrow: EVF and LCD boost in low light conditions (for exact framing and full usage of the manual zoom)
:arrow: A stronger flash unit

Hardware improvements for future versions:
:arrow: A reliable AF Assist Lamp (don't give me that "it can't reach the 12x range!" story)
:arrow: Same logical menu, but more buttons for quick access to the most frequently used functions
:arrow: That flip-out and twist LCD would be nice...
:arrow: Thicker handgrip
:arrow: More rounded camera body
:arrow: Please don't race MPX! A good 4mpx pic is better than a bad 8mpx!
:arrow: And everybody's dream: even more zoom to leave the competition 15x OIS behind ... :lol:

Cheers all...
eferkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 5:02 AM   #28

My first time in a forum, so my query is where is this poll. if it is strictly by post reply, here is my most importnat change request:
RAW format.

I commiserate with Bob, his postiton is not an easy one and must be frustrating. I found that the OIS works better than the system used by the A-1, but a tripod is mandatory at extreme focal lengths in moderate light. The shutdown of the viewfinder in lowlight is STUPID when one needs to make a fast grab shot, I now carry a LED tiny flashlight to ilum the seen, focus manually, turn off the LED and shoot. Works about 60% of the time handheld and about 90% w/ a tripod.
Please give me some more info on external flashes, other than the Panasonic which seems more expensive than other brands with more features other than the quasi-automatic (preset?) operation.
Also there IS a differnce in media speed as to writing to SD.
I guess this is enough for now, Please Bob, get me a RAW format output. In the meanwhile, I will use Neat Image and hope that I do not over plasicsize the pix.
One more question, does the Lizardtech fractal program work with the Panasonic .jpeg output? I would like to some more 20x30s. but do not wnat to purchase a product that may not work.
Miami Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 6:32 AM   #29

:arrow: Firmware Upgrade (first 'debug' for Free, then Pay for 2nd etc)
:arrow: Hi res output option
:arrow: Low light performance
:arrow: Easier access to Shutter and Apeture priority modes
:arrow: Direct Lense filter
:arrow: Eyecup
:arrow: Lastly Pansonic: Improve your marketing!

In Australia Pana. Video cams are well regarded, but their Digital Cameras " - what cameras?" It's a drawback when purchasing. I want to spend my hard earned $ on a reputable Brand. I have waited to see the new Canons released, because of their top name status and excellent image quality. Luckily for you Panasonic, the S1 looks like it doesnt cut it... so I have ordered my FZ10. But the first 22 FZ10-K's brought to Australia have sold! Only 22???? Well I supose no one knows about it... Next shipment is due April 1.

The Firmware issue surely will be addressed at least as a bug fix. But when Bob? We need to know. It's nearly put me off also. I'm sure it is putting many off after reading the forums and word of mouth re the EVF darkening. So I am taking the punt. If not I will be selling and buying the next Canon once they fix their bugs!

Finally I love Formula 1 and thanks for sponsoring Toyota. They might give a few teams a hurry up later this season! And Ferrari... well I bet they get their firmway upgrades fast when they need them!!!

Thanks guys for the ability to respond. Will build loyalty if firmware action really does follow.

BRD911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 8:07 AM   #30

Hey Bruce, just watch that April 1st date isn't an early and cruel April Fool joke! :lol:
Hopefully it won't be though.
pjskelti is offline   Reply With Quote