Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: What features would you like updated on the FZ10 or see in/on it's successor?
Automatic display compensation in low light conditions 19 21.11%
RAW output 15 16.67%
SuperFine JPEG output 20 22.22%
Ring based manual zoom (instead of electro-mechanical) with display feedback for zoom level 7 7.78%
One or more user configurable buttons for quick access to regularly changed menu settings 5 5.56%
Larger buffer to keep burst speed usable with SuperFine or RAW outputs 0 0%
Longer throw from built-in flash 1 1.11%
Focus-assist lamp 23 25.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 11, 2004, 6:35 PM   #31

Can the flash be used as a focus assist lamp if the firmware is changed? If so I want it badly!

Also the possibility to set max ISO when the auto ISO setting is used would be great.
Torkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 6:48 PM   #32

No, the flash couldn't be used as such.
As for the max setting whilst using Auto mode for the ISO - I know what you mean, but then that defeats the purpose of having an Auto mode function - it's there to let the camera make the best guess as to what'll work best to capture the shot.
In theory, a nice idea, but there'll be one time you'll rely on Auto mode to capture a moment in time, and if you've pegged the ISO to 100, but it needs 150-200 to make the image worth keeping (otherwise it'll be too dark) then you'll curse the fact that the camera Auto mode wasn't smart enough to make the right guess, when it was your artifical upper limit that prevented it from getting the exposure right. And all because you forgot to change it!
So, as you can see, the practicalities of such a feature are outweighed by their potential to do more harm than good.
pjskelti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:18 AM   #33

When this poll started I was very optimistic that the volume of people might better illustrate the opinions represented here. Each day I see this thread slip down the list and Iím concerned that it wonít be too long before itís ďoff the screen.Ē

Itís going to be very difficult trying to convince anyone that the opinions of 47 people represent any major portion of the DSC market. What can we do to keep this alive and visible on the list?
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:09 PM   #34

Well, here's my wishlist:

1. Less noise (at high ISOs)

2. While I can live with the purple fringing and CA with such an ultra-zoom, it'd be nice if this could be reduced....

3. RAW output, possibly also TIFF or a superfine jpg.....a buffer able to handle full bursts with this would also be great.

4. Manual zoom ring with zoom feedback.

5. Manual focus distance scale.

6. 640/30fps movie mode.

7. A dedicated hardware button for spot mode toggle. Actually, I should've put this higher in the list (maybe third).

8. Easier access to often used menu options like ISO change.

9. Not critical, but I would prefer a larger handgrip, with the shutter release button out on the grip, rather than on top of the camera body.

10. Better low light performance, in particular a functional lcd/evf at low to no light (via gain-up/b&w image, etc) with autofocus assist. This I should also have listed much higher in the list (4th maybe after spot mode).

11. TTL flash control. This would be a bit annoying for those of use who've invested in manual flashes like vivitar 283/285s or sunpak 383s, but it'd still be a nice feature to have added in a future model.

12. Access to battery and memory when on a tripod.

13. Bulb mode to allow 30s exposures.

14. Higher resolution, but only a large increase like 8mp. This I really don't find terribly important now, but perhaps shouldn't be ignored if many comparable models go to such higher resolutions.
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 7:07 AM   #35

Default Panasonic's Ultimate Focus Group is right here!

[quote="Itís going to be very difficult trying to convince anyone that the opinions of 47 people represent any major portion of the DSC market. What can we do to keep this alive and visible on the list?[/quote]

Bob, with respect, these 47 people are really the ultimate in Panasonic Market Research Focus Groups! You have dedicated, active, technical and passionate customers whose opinions here should represent the silent majority by a factor of 100:1.

In my business we teach staff that each customer complaint should be dealt with the fact in mind that the other 99 upset customers dont bother to make the same complaint in a lot of cases. So we magnify that single problem by 100 and do something about it. The other 99 also tend to "VOTE WITH THEIR FEET" at the next purchase.

So thats 4700 responses Bob!

Thanks for your interest in making this all worthwhile. I'm sure if Panasonic want to grow their higher-end DC market share, they will listen to groups such as us, to improve their product.
BRD911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 8:05 PM   #36

My choices for changes are:
Firmware
==========
Commitment to providing Firmware updates as a result of ongoing developments of cameras
Automatic display compensation in low light conditions {off}
SuperFine JPEG output

Hardware
=========
One or more user configurable buttons for quick access to regularly changed menu settings
Focus-assist lamp
Adapter rings for adding tele converters

Tim
TimXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:07 AM   #37

My $0.02 ........

1. auto low light compensation
2. hi-res JPEG or TIF format
3. manual zoom ring
5. more output from the on board flash.
6. a dedicated TRUE TTL add-on flash.
7. separate, and directly accessible A, S, and M modes
8. much lower noise levels ......... i'm not even happy with lowest ISO's, .......... thankfully there's NoiseNinja .... have to use with almost all my prints over 4x6.

and last but NOT least.....

8.. ergonomics ..... better placement of flash activation button (on left of flash housing as is done by 99.9999% of ALL camera mfrs. ...... btw....this kind of absoutely inappropriate placement of switches, etc. leads me to believe that NONE of the camera designers at PAN are photographers (!!) or EVER held and used this camera); auto "eye-start" when VF is raised to eye level; and, oh yes, as long as we're talking "redesigning" ..... how about a more comfortable size and shape, ie more similar to a true SLR as in the OLY e-20, perhaps in a slightly smaller package.
imamensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 9:37 PM   #38
ET

Default Thumbnails

It would be very nice if FZ10 creates small thumbnails for each picture, and puts them into separate directory so in preview or playback modes thumbnails will be viewed, not the original files. The reason for doing this is that when you zoom the picture on the display scrolling becomes very slow and sluggish.
I have pretty old Casio camera with this function and scrolling through zoomed picture is extremely fast and smooth as oppose to new and advanced FZ10.
So far no one asked for it but I think it's a very useful feature and it can be easily done with software update.
My other recommendations would be: RAW implementation and/or more compression levels, better low light focusing and sharper image. So far every single image I made looks like being slightly out of focus.
By the way, I wrote to Panasonic Canada twice about common problems with FZ10 (the ones everyone complains about) but response both times was standard:
"Sorry to hear that but we have never heard about those problems. It's a perfect camera and so far we received no complains whatsoever..."
ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 8:15 AM   #39

Firmware fixes?
1. Ability to set white balance manually with external flash.
2. Brighter finder in Manual Mode.
3. Much lower compression on JPeg (or Tiff) even if burst is disabled.
4. Ability to set speeds below 1/60 in manual mode with external flash.
Hardware Next Generation?
1. All of above.
2. TTL External flash dedication with either Nikon or Canon flash.
3.. Increased Dynamic Range ie Fuji S20.

I would have paid 2X what I did for this camera (and my brother would buy one). If it had all of the above.
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:41 AM   #40

Quote:
I would have paid 2X what I did for this camera (and my brother would buy one), if it had all of the above.
Jeez, that's more information than any of us needed to know - esp. Panasonic! :lol:
Seriously, don't say things like that, or the FZ20 WILL be hiked up and we'll all pay more than we would've.
pjskelti is offline   Reply With Quote