Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: What features would you like updated on the FZ10 or see in/on it's successor?
Automatic display compensation in low light conditions 19 21.11%
RAW output 15 16.67%
SuperFine JPEG output 20 22.22%
Ring based manual zoom (instead of electro-mechanical) with display feedback for zoom level 7 7.78%
One or more user configurable buttons for quick access to regularly changed menu settings 5 5.56%
Larger buffer to keep burst speed usable with SuperFine or RAW outputs 0 0%
Longer throw from built-in flash 1 1.11%
Focus-assist lamp 23 25.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 29, 2004, 1:04 PM   #41

Default Would Pay 2X

If a camera had all of the features I listed it would not be a replacment for the FZ10 but a stable mate aimed at a smaller group. A camera with this feature set could go head to head with interchangable lens cameras. The Fuji S2 with it's dynamic range is already at a price point close to 2X the FZ10 without the 12x IS lens.

Sorry to make waves, but in my opinion it would be 2X the camera the FZ10 is today and therefore worth the $.
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 1:49 PM   #42

A few things I would really like to see are:

A manual zoom ring

An AF assist lamp

A superfine jpeg mode

A few things that would be nice extras, but not really essential for me are:

Compact Flash II Support (for microdrives)

A high-quality movie mode (Somthing like the new Dimage A2 has)

Be sure to keep that same lens though. To me, it's the most impressive feature of the camera.
awikenheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 6:35 AM   #43

Dreamers the lot of you.
Firstly why would Panasonic listen to 80 users, or even 800 users.
Secondly haven't you worked out by now that the person called "Panasonic Bob" is a technical flunky who has absolutly no say in Panasonic and who appears to like allowing an inflated opinion of his worth to spread through this forum.
Maybe you should start a thread entitled.
"Why to you run away from DPReview Bob?"
Now that would be interesting.
Fred Foto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 11:36 AM   #44

So, we're dreamers are we?!
Says who? You?!
And you're such an authority aren't you?
And in the event that you're remotely right, where is the harm in dreaming?
Since you've nothing to contribute here, why did you bother to even post. Why not start a new thread of your own to make your trollish remarks.
In other words, P!$$ OFF and get a life! Or go troll other forums, but not DPReview, which a lot of us happen to be members of as well.
pjskelti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 6:05 PM   #45

Default camera cradle

is there a chance Panasonic bundle a fully functioning camera cradle. Put in the camera and forget it.

It will automatically charge the battery, and pictures are downloaded if any available in the camera?

I find it almost a necessity, I have fuji finepix 4800zoom, that I can not get rid of since the cradle is so convenient.

gychang
gychang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 12:05 AM   #46

Hmm, I'd like to add to my wish list:

Tethered lens cap. I hate worrying about dropping it.

A third burst mode (I think Minolta has this) for which shots are taken at maximum rate and buffered (up to 5), then when the shutter button is released the last 5 buffered shots are written. This would make capturing moving targets like birds etc at the point they take flight much easier.
To do this, likely the evf/lcd 'freezing' while taking burst shots would best be eliminated.

Since most of us use exposure compensation @-1/3 or -2/3 ev, perhaps lowering the default exposure by 1/2 ev or so is in order?

Also, I would prefer auto-bracket to be a toggle, rather than cancelling after the bracket shot. I tend to take a series of autobrackets rather than only one at a time, so it's a bit of a pain having to enable it again for the next shot...

As a next-generation wish (maybe next-next-gen?), it would be interesting to see HDTV movie modes. This would also allow decent 2 MP stills to be taken out....just a thought...
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:15 AM   #47

I hope that if Panasonic ever seriously considered some of these ideas in a new version of the FZ10 that they would instead create "another" more expensive version, calling it something else, and keep the FZ10 with perhaps one or two improvements that Panasonic is probably already aware of so that "cost" would remain at a reasonable level. The FZ10 jump from the FZ1 was successful, I think, because the cost didn't change that seriously much and the changes that were made were significant and not petty (hotshoe, more megapixels). Much of the remainder stayed the same because the FZ1 was excellent and you don't toy too much with excellence or you get crap! I think that some suggestions are unnecessary and also unreasonable, but that's my opinion. I like the camera as it sits now, so any improvement would only be icing. I don't like paying a whole lot for icing.

My thoughts on the list:

- RAW output
This is not a professional grade camera, so how many of us are realistically going to worry about the very minor degradation when using uncompressed jpg or tiff?

- SuperFine JPEG output
Once you have the file in your computer you can play with resolution.

- Ring based manual zoom (instead of electro-mechanical) with display feedback for zoom level

I can't believe that people complain about the zoom in this camera. It's ring focus and fast zoom are incredible.

- One or more user configurable buttons for quick access to regularly changed menu settings
Such as? Examples? I think the buttons are located wonderfully. For instance, the quick change burst button. This stuff is subjective and entirely opinion. I love the way the major controls are set up now and would be steamed if Panasonic changed them because someone else didn't like them where they now sit. The only button that I've ever had a slight problem with is the "exposure" button that I would personally like lower so I don't need to stretch my finger (but I'm certainly not going to tell Panasonic to start changing that because if I do then they'll listen to someone else who wants "another" button somewhere else, and then the entire camera will change).

- Larger buffer to keep burst speed usable with SuperFine or RAW outputs

If such a thing were present in the camera then I would suspect that the cost would leap incredibly. I think the burst is excellent, and the buffer is usable, slow, yes, but if any faster the cost of the camera would leap. I can wait. And I usually end up deleting 90% of my buffer shots anyway.

- Longer throw from built-in flash.
The camera has a hot shoe.

- Focus-assist lamp
It focuses fine outdoors. This might help with indoor shots but I'm not missing it personally. My FZ10 focuses better indoors now than a Nikon 5700

If you make waves sometimes you end up drowning in your own commotion. "Reasonable" suggestions are helpful, I agree, but sometimes I feel that I'm reading suggestions just for the sake of suggesting here.

Quote:
Firstly why would Panasonic listen to 80 users, or even 800 users.
Well I certainly disagree with you, Fred, and appreciate the work and effort that Phil has put into this string. Apparently, Fred, you haven't even begun to realize the huge potential of the internet and forums as a selling tool. That's why I've posted above what I have posted, because I like the FZ10 the way it is and worry about Panasonic changing it beyond recognition. Thankfully Phil has allowed for this chat. Have a good day Fred.

I personally hope and encourage others to keep posting in this string and be assured that Panasonic is listening! Despite what Fred says.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:23 AM   #48

-Raw output
-Jpeg superfine
-Display the focal lenght
-Long exposure (more than 8 sec)
-Less noise
lamalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 6:18 AM   #49

I VOTE FOR:

:!: 3:2 photo output

:!: Zoom in movie mode

640:480 with 30fps movie mode

More JPG compression levels

EVF and LCD boost in low light conditions

Longer exposure time (about 30 sec.)

Less noise at high ISO speeds

:arrow: Ingeneral I think firmware upgrades are very, very important. Even if it will be paid option.
Goly_Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:49 PM   #50

Default Exposure lock button independent of the focus lock.

I would love to see an exposure lock button independent of the focus lock.
mmdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote