Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: What features would you like updated on the FZ10 or see in/on it's successor?
Automatic display compensation in low light conditions 19 21.11%
RAW output 15 16.67%
SuperFine JPEG output 20 22.22%
Ring based manual zoom (instead of electro-mechanical) with display feedback for zoom level 7 7.78%
One or more user configurable buttons for quick access to regularly changed menu settings 5 5.56%
Larger buffer to keep burst speed usable with SuperFine or RAW outputs 0 0%
Longer throw from built-in flash 1 1.11%
Focus-assist lamp 23 25.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:45 AM   #1

Default For the benefit of Panasonic Bob......a Poll for features

EDIT:
Just so everyone knows the score, this voting system will not allow for more than one vote to be cast, either now, or when you revist/reload the thread.
Also, it's not about what's the most popular feature, but about informing Panasonic Japan of the FULL list of features we want on the FZ10 after a firmware update, or it's successor if they won't do an update for this camera.
So, in order to make this 'Poll' work as intended, please post YOUR list of features in your reply - as many as you want to see the camera have!

Also check the "Poll Part 2!" thread as the voting only allows for 10 options, and there's 14 or 15 so far, not including Noise which I believe is tied to both sensor size and the compression ratio used for the JPEG output format. If Noise IS a major gripe, then I'll ask Steve to add it to the list above or in Part 2 for good measure. Otherwise I'll assume it's a non issue or that I'm right about the tie-in with sensor and JPEG ratio.

Forgive me if this has already been done - if so, I'll delete it, but I thought a Poll which PB could send to Panasonic Japan, so as they are under no illusion as to the features we FZ10 users want as a Firmware update (should they indulge us), or that should be on the FZ11/12/20 or whatever the 10's successor is going to be known as.

A few of the options obviously won't be Firmware doable, but since it appears Panasonic's attitude is "we don't do Firmware updates!" and just add on the 'missing' features in successive models, the it's a useful exercise to give them an idea as to where we'd like to see them head and if so, then we'd be willing to stick with them on their journey - the sooner they get there the better for us, of course.

If there's one or two other 'features' I missed, please mention them and I'll add them in (if I can) or ask the mods to amend it.

Since you can't select more than one item at a time, then multiple selections will need to be done one at a time - sorry, but I didn't design the poll format!
Either that or just list the features in your reply - use numbering if you have a specific preference or consider some features to be more important than other, and therefore implemented sooner rather than later.

If some of the options are too limited or vague, please feel free to opine your version

Thanks
Phil
pjskelti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:13 AM   #2

Just want to state that I think this poll for features is a good idea. May be falling on deaf eyes but it feels good to think that a vendor might try to please the consumer.

My top features in order of desire are:

1. Manual zoom (may be implemented w/ a ring)

2. RAW output

3. Larger movie format
bridgesmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:21 AM   #3

Larger movie format - I presume you're refering to 640x480 (VGA)?
Whilst I respect your opinion, I'd rather see Panasonic concentrate on making the stills side the best on the market in it's class rather than try and make a "Jack of all trades, master of none!" type.
I suppose that goes to show our respective differences on the usefulness of Video mode - you want and use it, I'd rather do it right with a proper digicorder.
Horses for courses!
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:22 AM   #4

I cant seem to get back in to vote for another selection on poll1. It takes me to view results. How do you vote for more than one topic.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:59 AM   #5

I'd assumed that would be how you'd do it. Maybe it flags your account as having already voted, so you can't vote again (distorting the results).
So, in light of that, just list those features you want to see in firmware update, or in the 10's successor if Firmware updating isn't either an option or likely to happen. Make sense?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:08 AM   #6

Default Poll Upgrades

Can we also have a poll to vote for upgrades of poll features...? Stuff like voting for more than one upgrade, more choices, an "Other" fill-in-the blank selection, etc. :roll:

Seriously, this poll is a good idea...thanks for your effort.
jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:18 AM   #7

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, thanks for the laugh - best I've had in ages!
It's always great to get the smartarse who (genuinely?) wants to vote on voting (or a similar play on words) - classic!
Well spotted - I'd like to say I'd seen that one coming, but alas....no.
God! My ribs are still sore!!
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:48 PM   #8

I cant vote for more than 1 topic so here are those I would vote for if I could:
-Automatic display compensation in low light conditions
-SuperFine JPEG output
-One or more user configurable buttons for quick access to regularly changed menu settings
-Focus-assist lamp
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 1:10 PM   #9

Great idea and I like the positive attitude!
This will also serve another purpose - let's see just how many people vote. I'm not trying to be a smart a**, but if I can show that hundreds or thousands of people support these ideas, it's more meaningful. Suppose I submit the current data, how much weight will 10 votes carry?

See if you guys can have as many DSC users visit the site and take the poll. I'll be waching it.

PB
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 1:16 PM   #10

Unfortunately Bob, since each member can only select one option to 'vote' for/on, then you're still stuck with the task of reading each reply and disecting the information that way. My intention was that each person could choose multiple options by revisiting the thread, but alas that's not how it works. Nice idea in theory.....you know the rest!

Sorry it won't be as easy for you to correlate the data as I'd hoped.
Also, I've made the poll open/active for 180 days (6 months) as by that time, your colleagues in Japan will probably have signed off on any firmware update or the FZ10's successor. But if you need it extended, then I'm sure Steve would oblige in amending that part of it.