Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: What features would you like updated on the FZ10 or see in/on it's successor?
Location of memory card changed (for tripod users doing time lapse) 1 1.30%
Larger capacity memory card supplied as standard - minimum 64MB 1 1.30%
Remote control operation (front IR - for self portraits) 8 10.39%
Commitment to providing Firmware updates as a result of ongoing developments of cameras 47 61.04%
Bluetooth? capabilities (or other wireless method of transferring images) 1 1.30%
FireWire IEEE 1394 interface 0 0%
Noise reduction 15 19.48%
Faster autofocus 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:02 AM   #31

This camera is good as it stands and I think some suggested changes, if incorporated, would completely revamp this camera and turn it into something that it now is not, which is a good functional 12x zoom camera. The FZ1 was an excellent camera, and remains so, and the FZ10 has a few changes that are reasonable, such as megapixels and hotshoe, which make it "still" an excellent camera.

If Panasonic takes this poll seriously (and I have little doubt that they are watching because loads of people are responding) I hope that they will consider them for a "new" camera model and not as an upgrade version of the FZ10. If they start playing with all of the ideas here then they'll end up turning a good camera into a hodgepodge of subjective ideas, altering dial positions, menus, and everything that makes it now a good model. My plea to Panasonic is, "sure, read this stuff, but don't change the FZ10 any more than you think necessary (just like you did with the FZ1 transition, and make it another model and not FZ10, so we who like the camera the way it is won't lose it to subjectivity). My views on this second list:

- Location of memory card changed (for tripod users doing time lapse)

How many people really do this?

- Larger capacity memory card supplied as standard - minimum 64MB.

Lots of sales on this item and certainly shouldn't be a priority for Panasonic. This is definitely petty.

- Remote control operation (front IR - for self portraits)

Nit Picking, something that would perhaps be nice but all of the "nice" means added dollars. The question is, do you "need" it or can you not shoot your work or play "without" it?

- Commitment to providing Firmware updates as a result of ongoing developments of cameras

What camera "doesn't" this apply to?

- Bluetooth® capabilities (or other wireless method of transferring images)

This is definitely subjective? In fact, I don't even personally know what it is and so I'm not going to miss it. I'm assuming that it's something like a card reader without wires, something to get the files into the computer. Well, again, this is a 4 megapixel camera and a USB or scandisk won't hold anyone back for too long. Now if you are transferring 11 megapixel images then something of that sort might be a necessity. It's a bell and whistle for this camera, nice but not necessary to get the job done well, a potential addon for those who might want it (whatever it is).

- FireWire IEEE 1394 interface
Is this really necessary for a 4 megapixel camera?

- Noise reduction
What should one expect with that size sensor? Neat Image does batch processing and clears up minor noise so that it isn't an issue.

- Faster autofocus
It's fast enough to get the job done and any huge increase in speed will also bring about an increase in cost of the camera. I don't want this camera to get any more expensive. Put it on a "super" version of the FZ10 under a different name, the FZzillion or something like that, and give the rich guys an option on that.

And finally, I thank Phil for all of the work that has been put together to allow us all to post our views and I certainly encourage everyone to keep on posting and to air their own views, whether positive or negative!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:10 PM   #32

This is a very unique camera and I'm pleased with it so far. I would like to see 2 changes specifically;

A. Make it so that you can see through the LCD or viewfinder in manual mode when using an external flash with a 1/2000 F8 setting.

B. See A
Ancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 5:24 PM   #33

Well, this discussion has motivated me to join the forum.

Has an articulating LCD been mentioned? The FZ10 already has my other key wish list items, fast quality lens and image stabilization. I think adding a 270 degree LCD feature, if posssible, would allow a lot of creativity from one device.

One other thought about remote versus timer: a remote is very handy when you are trying to shoot a family self portrait with little ones in the picture. It's just difficult to have them stay where they are while waiting for the 10 second timer and then smile nicely when the shot goes off. For me, it would be nice to have the remote.

As far as the other items, they are all great to have. I guess the next iteration will see some sensor improvement anyway as a result of competitive pressure.

Thanks for a lot of great information on this forum!

Kris
kris28 is offline   Reply With Quote