Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 1, 2004, 2:20 PM   #11

Karen,
Make sure you aren't in spot mode.
Check and post back your findings.

Bob
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:44 AM   #12

Bob
This is buy no means a complaint as I really like my Fluzi. It improved my picture taking ability greatly.
But I am confused about why you say to make sure not to use spot mode as I feel that is the best for me.
I also feel that using continuous auto focus causes problems
at least on my FZ10. I turn it off and believe it focuses faster and holds the focus better.
Also I believe Mode 2 works better for me as far as the IS goes.
Gene
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 10:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by genece
feel that using continuous auto focus causes problems at least on my FZ10. I turn it off and believe it focuses faster and holds the focus better.

Gene
interesting Gene. i'm still so befuddled by this camera's 'performance' it's hard to say what's effecting what. the other night i turned off C-AF, plus 1&2, so assume that disabled all the IS systems..and couldn't tell any diff! and that was shooting the moon at full tele.

earlier that day couldn't get it to focus in bright sun on various flowers (in macro). kept targeting everything But what i wanted. the usual..total blur at half-shutter.

Karen
Karen 1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 11:49 AM   #14

Karen
I would try as Bob said with spot mode off, and not that I have any special knowledge, I would use Mode 2 with the stabilizer --and I would also turn off the continuous Auto focus. And see if it focuses ... it should focus almost instantly if you are at least 10 feet from the subject and in program mode. If you get a quick focus you can experiment from there. Macros are a little touchy, not that the camera will not do them but save that for later.
Moon shots are also tricky as I believe you need to set the aperture at a high number, at least I do.
Gene
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 7:44 PM   #15

Gene, i'd already tried spot mode on/off before it was suggested. i've also used it (quite a bit) in Mode 2. the moon pic was fine..with or without IS. which is what i don't understand.

nonetheless, no matter what i do, focusing is often impossible. in many situations, either takes forever--whirring away, trying--or never makes it at all.

Karen
Old Apr 3, 2004, 7:36 AM   #16

Karen,

If i were you i'd return the camera for a new one, i had a focus issue with my first FZ10, it would lock focus but was not in focus.

I have never had any low light probs though, locks ok under a 60 watt bulb, hope you sort it out soon.

marko
marko1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:29 PM   #17

"earlier that day couldn't get it to focus in bright sun on various flowers (in macro). kept targeting everything But what i wanted. the usual..total blur at half-shutter."

Karen,

Your focusing problems MAY be related to having too much zoom for your distance from the subject. What you describe for the macro shot is exactly what happens when you zoom out too much - the FZ10 can focus very close at 1-3x zoom but at 12x the minimum focus distance is 6.5 FEET (even in macro); beyond 3x zoom the required camera to subject distance increases rapidly. If you are having trouble focusing when less than about 7ft then try zooming wider. Focus ranges are given on page 130 of the manual. For macro shots the best zoom is at about 3x - you can get very close and you get the greatest magnification. If you can't lock focus, back away a bit and try again until you get a feel for the closest distance that allows focus lock for your zoom setting.
Clint751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 4:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko1000
If i were you i'd return the camera for a new one, i had a focus issue with my first FZ10, it would lock focus but was not in focus.
Exactly Marko! 'thinks' it's in focus, but isn't. what's weird is that it'll Be in focus prior to half-shutter, then loses it, yet locks.

may very well have to return it. know several folks that had to go thru a few to get one that wasn't faulty somehow. my husb's FZ1 seems fine.

Karen, who does get great moon shots with it, including one of Venus earlier tonight
Old Apr 4, 2004, 4:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint751
Your focusing problems MAY be related to having too much zoom for your distance from the subject. What you describe for the macro shot is exactly what happens when you zoom out too much - the FZ10 can focus very close at 1-3x zoom but at 12x the minimum focus distance is 6.5 FEET (even in macro); beyond 3x zoom the required camera to subject distance increases rapidly. If you are having trouble focusing when less than about 7ft then try zooming wider. Focus ranges are given on page 130 of the manual. For macro shots the best zoom is at about 3x - you can get very close and you get the greatest magnification. If you can't lock focus, back away a bit and try again until you get a feel for the closest distance that allows focus lock for your zoom setting.
hi Clint, i kinda tried all that. mostly staying at 1x. tried every dern thing i could think of..but it would would _not_ focus on those flowers, etc. had fun with it today, tho still off-and-on with the focus problem (cept for the moon, it loves the moon).

what i really wish i knew: IS it faulty? should i try another one? if it's not, i don't mind the work/frustration as much..but if i'm just spinning my wheels with a glitchy camera, then that really is irritating. i mostly post at dpreview and replies have been half-and-half, leaning towards it's not glitchy (or theirs is and we have the same problems).

thanks for your feedback..

Karen
Old Apr 5, 2004, 8:56 AM   #20

Without writing a novel, let me try to construct a scenario.

Spot mode greatly reduces the area over which the camera calculates the proper focus setting. Let's say you are trying to shoot a closeup of a rose. You unknowingly place the "zone" in the middle of one rose petal. While the color is vibrant, that portion lacks any "detail" that the AF uses to focus. The end result may very well be a photo that is soft.

Now if you can use the center of the rose where there is detail, SPOT works to your advantage. I'm just trying to point out that it's very easy to accidently sample a detail free portion of any image (any solid colored object) and end up with soft focus.

Spot also works very well if you place it smack dab on the eyes of your subject. Sharp eyes will always stand out - soft eyes and you'll get lots of negative comments.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by genece
Bob
This is buy no means a complaint as I really like my Fluzi. It improved my picture taking ability greatly.
But I am confused about why you say to make sure not to use spot mode as I feel that is the best for me.
I also feel that using continuous auto focus causes problems
at least on my FZ10. I turn it off and believe it focuses faster and holds the focus better.
Gene
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote