Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:11 AM   #1
Kat

Default fz10 for my first digi camera???

I posted in the newbie section but I thought I might get a few more responses here. I'm going to buy my first digital camera, and I've narrowed down my list to three cameras. I have held and tried out the Kodak 6490. I like the feel and weight and size. The picture quality gets pretty good reviews. I don't like the fact that it will not accept filters, and I don't like the unstabilized lens. ( I won't be carrying a tripod around for the everyday picture taking I like to do.) The second camera I'm considering is the new to be released Canon S1 IS. It has the stabilized lens and manual controls but I'm concerned with preview reports on picture quality. Now to the Pana FZ10...I really like the 12x stabilized zoom. I really like the manual controls and I like what I have seen and read about the picture quality. My problem is that I cannot physically get my hands on one to see how it feels. I don't want a camera that is too heavy for me to carry around Disney world, or tote in my purse, etc. I need to get some good and accurate sense of it's size and weight. I have checked all the camera and electronics stores in my area and no luck. (Note to Panasonic...when the usual response is "Is Panasonic even making cameras anymore??" ...you might want to look into your marketing campaign. ) Is there another camera out there in the market place that has a similar size, shape, feel and weight that I could "test drive" in my hand?

Thanks,
Kat in E. Tennessee
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:07 AM   #2

I, too, am looking into the FZ10. However, I was lucky enough to find a display model at Ritz camera in my area. The camera is slightly larger than other ultra zoom digicams, but it still very light. Toting it in your purse (depending on purse size) might not be possible, but having and extra camera bag, or wearing it on your shoulder should be very comfortable all day.

Check with any Ritz Camera stores you might have in your area. There are 3 of them in the greater Lansing, Michigan area, and I had to go to all three before the most frequented location in our area actually had one. The other two stores sent me to this one, because Ritz only stocks the Panasonic FZ10 if there seems to be a market for Panasonic cameras in the area. Interesting.

Anyhoo, hope that helps.

I would say the only thing comparable in size to it is the Fuji S7000. The layout of the Panasonic is more convenient to fit into many SLR camera bags, and I would say that the S7000 is slightly larger and a little heavier than the Panasonic FZ10.

Would anyone else agree with me on that?
OracleMSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:14 AM   #3

Heh, I wont even back myself up on both of those claims. I've found the raw data.

Fuji S7000
Dimensions 4.8(W) x 3.2(H) x 3.8(D) inch
121 x 82 x 97 mm
Weight 17.6 oz / 590 g (excluding batteries and media)

Panasonic FZ10
Dimensions 3.43 x 5.45 x 4.16 inches (HxWxD)
Weight 1.21 lbs (including battery and SD card)

So, the panasonic is probably around the same weight once you add 4 AA batteries to the Fuji, but each of it's measurements are a tad longer, most noteably it is .8 inches wider.

Still, I would use the Fuji as a judge. If you could see yourself carrying around the Fuji, imagine it being slightly larger.
OracleMSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 2:17 PM   #4

I've been taking pictures with the FZ10 for about 2 months now and I'm really satisfied with its performance. Shots are crisp, noise usually isn't an issue and the OIS puts it over the top. Handheld shots at shutter speeds as slow as 1/4 of a sec are possible and you can actually use the 12x Zoom w/o a tripod. Here's a gallery of mine if you wanna check out some shots:

http://www.uploadit.org/gallery/10714
Aviller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 7:49 PM   #5

That's weird, from what I read Panasonic ain't so good on image quality.. but Canon anounces itself to be.
atta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 7:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atta
That's weird, from what I read Panasonic ain't so good on image quality.. but Canon anounces itself to be.
I can't comment on other Panasonic cameras, but the FZ10 has been getting very good ratings for the image quality in reviews.
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 8:32 PM   #7

I've had an FZ-10K for about 3 months now and I must say it's a fantastic camera --- for what I plan on using it for, which is outdoor shots in decent lighting. It CAN be a point-and-shoot but its strengths lie in its manual mode, tweaking the settings depending on the shot. Because of this it has a higher learning curve (reading the manual is a must) and after 3 months I'm still learning and making mistakes. Thank goodness I can delete my bad pics! But the best thing about the "Fluzi" is that it brings back the FUN in taking pics and you want to have it everywhere you go. That being said, indoor/low light situations are not its strong points(though there are workarounds but once again that higher learning curve) and the flash is weak --- but it does have a hotshoe for an external flash. So, an amazing, versatile camera with an awesome, huge stabilized lens that literally begs to be used as more than a point-and-shoot, and will reward you with great pictures. Oh BTW, yes, there IS less noise on the ISO 50 setting than on the 200 and 400 but the same goes for most digital cameras; the Fluzi is about average in that regard.

Steve
sdwsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:37 PM   #8

I'm in a similar position Kat, and all I know is I don't like the image quality of the Canon S1 IS.
Reactor is offline   Reply With Quote