Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 15, 2004, 10:15 PM   #1

Default FZ1 (with unofficial firmware update) or FZ10?

I am looking for a camera slightly better than P&S (means need some basic manual controls) . Mostly for for family , kids type pictures. Printing will never go beyond 5x6.
Cosidering FZ1 . Is the unofficial firmware upgrade works? Is it safe (I know my warranty will be void if I do it, but it is OK to risk $300) , as a second thought considering FZ10, for my application are there any real benefits of 4mp. What you suggest?

Regards
suhasgokhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2004, 9:30 AM   #2

The FZ1 is a wonderful camera. Currently available for an incredible $270 shipped at onecall.com. The firmware upgrade gives aperature/shutter priority and about 20% less compression and is easily and safely accomplished. Excellent quality 8x10 prints. I have had my FZ1 for 7 months (upgraded in December) and have taken over 6,000 shots with absolutely no manufacturing glitches nor I have I heard of any from other users many of whom have also upgraded.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 5:46 PM   #3

I'm with fmoore. While new to this particular digicam, I'm coming from a Minolta Dimage 5, which gives you more than enough control to truly screw pictures up.

I took about 30 pics with the OEM firmware, and decided to upgrade as I wanted at least a little control.

However, having played with the FZ1(2) for only about two weeks and a couple hundred shots, I went back to the store at which I bought it, to see if they had any more for the $270 I paid, that way in case one met a bad fate, I'd have another. I like it that much.

While I do wish it were a 3 MP camera, the lens more than makes up for it. I'm also pleasantly surprised by the battery life, and I use the big LCD screen almost exclusively, as it's just easier. On the Dimage, doing this meant changing batteries every 15 minutes, or so. Not much of an embellishment, either.
mckellyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 8:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckellyb
I went back to the store at which I bought it, to see if they had any more for the $270 I paid, that way in case one met a bad fate, I'd have another.
Did they have another? Where were they? In the produce section?
Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoore
Did they have another? Where were they? In the produce section?

Yeah, no kidding! I really did get the last one, though I was tempted to offer up a lowball price on the display model. Decided to hold off, however, as I have a feeling this one will be long-lived.
mckellyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 6:13 PM   #6

[quote="mckellyb"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoore
I have a feeling this one will be long-lived.
Agree. I have heard of zero breakdowns with this camera. That is unusual. May it bring you much happiness in the years to come.