Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 17, 2004, 2:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
anything above 150 quid is import taxed i believe !
That's only what gets brought in by passengers on flights; if it's sent via post, or courier, you have to pay duty on anything valued over 18 (if merchandise direct from a reatailer), or valued over 36 (if a gift from a private individual). The import duty is based on the total value of the goods plus the delivery charge, there can also be a customs charge which is added to the total before duty is calculated. After that, there is also normally a handling charge levied by the delivery company, which is also liable to VAT. Very quickly, you can find that savings aren't that big by time the goods reach your door, you won't get those goods until you've paid the duty, either.
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:58 PM   #12

Mostly right, but not entirely - import duty (as we know) is 0% on DC's, so the only thing to calculate is VAT @ 17.5%.
If duty were applicable, then it's a certain percentage of the goods' declared value.
I'll do this as an example to make things easier and clearer. Let's assume duty is 10% for a particular item.
Said item is sent from outside the EU, say the USA, and the paperwork (and any insurance valuation) is declared as $360. Also, the courier company have an admin fee of 5-10 depending on which company they are - Fed Ex the cheapast @ 5.
So, the maths goes like this:
$360 = 200 (for all intent purposes) - duty is 10%, so that's 20.
Duty and the admin fee are both VATable, so 200 (inc. shipping) + 20 + 5 = 225. VAT @17.5% = 39.38

Therefore, upon landing in the UK, Fed Ex will email/send letter/phone you to ask for this payment before delivering the item. I've used credit card, so I'm unsure whether they'll take a cheque or not. Maybe if the guarantee card is produced and details written on the reverse. I don't believe their drivers are allowed to accept cash, for security reasons.

But that's how it works.
On the above example, if it was a DC, then the VAT would be 17.5% of 205, which is 35.88.
pjskelti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 5:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjskelti
Pana UK do honour the warranty on their products irrespective of where bought. Or at least that's the case with the FZ10, and I can't see that being an exception to the rule.
Certain restrictions apply, the following is a quote taken from an email from Panasonic UK received by a Panasonic purchaser who bought his camera overseas:-

>>>Outside of the EU, you may receive a limited worldwide warranty which would qualify you for three months parts and labour and nine further months part only in the UK.<<<

The full text can be read here:-

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8032933

I have heard of other UK camera importers operating their guarantees in the same manner as mentioned above.

Harry
Harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:20 AM   #14

Yes, should have explained fully - they honour it in the sense that they won't turn you away and force you to send it back to the country of purchase, but they will honour the warranty as per that country's policy.
So, you're quite right in saying the imported FZ10s will have 90 days (3 months) P&L , etc.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 2:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjskelti
Mostly right, but not entirely - import duty (as we know) is 0% on DC's, so the only thing to calculate is VAT @ 17.5%.
If duty were applicable, then it's a certain percentage of the goods' declared value.
*psst* Import Duty is VAT, so to speak, VAT is charged on goods sold within the UK, those goods being imported are subject to Import Duty. Amounts to the same thing, just different names. The bit you're talking about being 0% is the Customs Charge, certain goods do carry it (wasn't sure about digital cameras), such as spirits and liquers.

Also, if you are paying Import Duty, the value of the goods also has the shipping fees added on before the Duty is calculated.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:20 PM   #16

VAT (value added tax) is NOT the same as Import Duty. The two are very separate taxations!
As per my maths lesson above, you'd have noticed that Import Duty is not VAT exampt, and as a result, it plus the declared cost of the goods and shipper's admin fee are used to calculate the total amount of VAT and (if any) Import Duty payable.
The Customs Charge (?) is not levied by the UK Customs and Excise - since it doesn't exist! What you're confused about is the admin fee charged by the shippers to present the paperwork and pay the amount calculated on your behalf. You then owe THEM the amount they paid.

As I said above, imports are taxed like so:
import duty (if applicable)+ shipper's admin fee + VAT on the whole lot.
Follow my maths above, and you won't go wrong. Alternatively contact UK Customs & Excise or Fed Ex/DHL/etc. to see if I'm wrong.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 4:04 AM   #17

Import duty due on film cameras not on digital cameras check with Customs & Excise.
jascm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:55 AM   #18

I got my FZ10 (Black) from Jessops on Sunday and they price matched the QED-uk.com website and I got it for 359. They had two in stock
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 4:57 AM   #19

I just went to the QED website so a friend could get a price-match at Jessops too, seems they're no longer listing the FZ10 amongst their available digital camera stock. Ah well.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 5:11 AM   #20

Well I wasn't as impressed with mine as I am with my c2100. I am testing it again on Tuesday night and if the low light shooting doesn't save the day then you can buy mine... With 256 memory and the new bits.. with full not filled in jessops guarantee.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote