Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 16, 2004, 5:33 AM   #1

Default Need a final reccomendation...

I'm down to two cameras in my search for a good one- the Sony F717 and the FZ10.

The Sony F717 has some excellent image quality, and a few other features that have caught my attention. But, the zoom's a bit short and it lacks IS. I'm fairly sure I'd survive without a huge zoom, but I can see how handy IS would be for low-light shooting, amongst other things.

So... can anyone help me with a personal reccomendation? In almost every respect, the FZ10 keeps winning me back, but the image noise seems a bit too high, especially considering I'm looking to take a lot of indoor shots without a flash. Low-light focusing doesn't bother me, since I'm happy to use manual focus if I have to.

Any reccomendation from a F717 user or successful FZ10 user would be appreciated.
Reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2004, 7:19 AM   #2

I can't comment on the Sony 717, but if you're doing indoor shots, not much need for the zoom of the FZ10. Although the image stabilization will help on the FZ10. FZ10 shines outdoors with good light, indoors no flash, FZ10 wouldn't be my first choice.
Ramblin_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:09 AM   #3

I'll be using the FZ10 outdoors as well, but I'd be silly (I think) to choose a camera that can't handle low-light situations fairly well. I've used a Canon G3 under low-light conditions, and though it didn't blow me away, it was good enough for my needs. Can the FZ10 do even that well?
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:21 PM   #4

Just for fun I went looking at some low light pictures by the G3 and the Sony 717. I'm not all that impressed. All I can say is that my experience with the FZ10 has been very favorable under low light conditions. I get pictures that I know I could not get with my Minolta. If I can get a contrast area for a focus lock I get my picture. I've also had a lot of good luck with the manual focus. You have to ask yourself what is the value of certain low light photos without flash. It seems that if even the camera can focus the resulting pictures aren't so great. At least with the FZ10 and some luck, bracketing etc. I can get a picture in focus at a shutter speed that I don't think the Sony or the G3 could do. I've been very happy with photos I've taken of theater performances with no flash and very challenging lighting conditions. With the zoom I can fill the frame with the actors.
SoOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:45 PM   #5

It doesn't do that bad, but trying to do no flash, low light will be challanging. If you're going to use flash, it does OK. It's not going to reach across a large room and illuminate well. If you buy an aftermarket flash, you will have better luck
Ramblin_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:47 PM   #6

The FZ10 has about a 1 stop advantage indoors without flash if you arenít dealing with subject movement. Where you could shoot at 1/30 second with the 717 you could shoot at 1/8 with the FZ10. The 717 has a full f stop advantage at wide angle at f2, so the FZ10 only beats it by another f stop. At 5X the FZ10 has more of an advantage since the 717 goes to f2.4.

The FZ10 is far and away the best camera I have for indoor available light, but I donít have a f2 camera to compare it to for overall capability. The 717 is better for subject movement in available light, but neither are going to be able to take pictures of anything moving indoors without a flash.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 9:40 PM   #7

Thanks guys, that was very helpful information. Much appreciated