Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:01 PM   #1

Default Need advice on shooting Nascar auto racing

I'm a total digital photo novice, and was wondering if anyone has some advice for shooting auto racing. I'll be attending a Nascar short-track daytime race where the cars will be reaching speeds of 120mph or so. Since it's bascially a 3 hour event, I will not have a chance to experiment alot with settings while I'm there. Is my best bet to set the FZ10 at auto and just shoot away ?? Or should I change the auto to the "sports" mode ?? Or am I better off with some other settings ?? Thanks in advance.
chicagocub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:17 PM   #2

I haven't got my FZ10 yet, due for delivery tomorrow, but I know some of the reviews have mentioned that there's an alternative mode for the stabiliser where it only compensates for vertical shake. This allows you to make panning shots of subjects, they gave examples of race cars in the one review, saying it will allow you to get sharp images of the cars with motion blurring on the background.
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:41 PM   #3

It's the icon on the mode dial of an F1/Indy car with "go faster stripes" extending behind it! That and burst mode with a Pana or SimpleTech 256MB SD card with 10MB/s write speed should do the trick.
pjskelti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 12:27 PM   #4

Thank guys. I'm gonna give that setting a try next Sunday. Hopefully it will not be raining. GO CUBS!!
chicagocub is offline   Reply With Quote