Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 20, 2004, 10:28 PM   #1
Kat

Default color matters?? black vs. silver

:?: Why is the silver fz10 cheaper than the black one? Is there a reason that silver color is less desirable? Is it simply the esthectics of imitating an old fashion slr camera by choosing black? Vann's is selling a silver fz10 for 40 dollars cheaper than the black. Are they not exactly the same other than body color? I wouldn't mind silver if it means being able to apply more money toward memory.
ops:
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2004, 2:47 PM   #2

FWIW, when I bought my FZ1 about a year ago, I read and researched a lot. On the net I came across a posting from someone who had visited a trde fair in Japan and he noted that at the Panasonic display he saw that the silver color had worn badly on the FZ1 display model. This prompted me to get the black model. I have yet to notice any fading or wear on my model.

Garth
garthmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:40 AM   #3

I chose black for the same reason as above. I've had many cellphones with silver bodies that eventually wear through during normal usage, leaving the black/dull silver plastic underneath visible. The camera will eventually have wear marks/accidental scratches and black is easier to fix than silver IMO. Also, many accessories come in black, and the camera just looks better with matching colors.
alexrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:15 AM   #4

I bought the silver because a black camera gets too hot in the Florida sun. I take it out in my open boat often and want to have it available all the time.

One problem I found right away with the silver is that the viewfinder stalk is small and light reflects off of the silver camera in bright sunlight to the point where it is hard to see the EVF. I put a rubber eyecup on that solved the problem. I would want the eyecup even with a black camera, but it is necessary for a silver one IMO.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:19 AM   #5

They are the same except for color.

BTW, I just checked Vann's and they were both $499.
bridgesmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:21 AM   #6

I just checked with Sales and they confirmed that both colors are priced the same. Might be a dealer call on supply vs demand.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 1:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
I just checked with Sales and they confirmed that both colors are priced the same. Might be a dealer call on supply vs demand.
That is exactly what I encountered when I emailed Walmart.com and asked why they had three listings for the FZ1 with three different prices. There were two silver ones (with like a $45 difference between the two even though they're the same) and the black model was like $50 more than the highest priced silver one. The first response from them was that it was for three completely different models of cameras (Huh?). I correct them on that, and referred them to the Panasonic website. They then responded that the FZ1k model had more features and higher resolution. I then corrected them on that. They then responded with the most immature response I've ever received from a company -- something very close to, "We can price the cameras however we want and the customer really has no say in the matter." I quickly corrected them on that, too, explaining to them that my "say" in the matter was that I would not be buying either product from them. They also refused to price match, but said that they have "guaranteed lowest prices". Not quite sure how that guarantee works if they don't price match, but...oh, well.

Can't recommend buying either the black or silver camera from Walmart.com -- there are plenty of other stores that offer the FZ1 for over $100 less. I guess maybe you're paying for the guarantee? Haha.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 9:33 AM   #8

I got my FZ1 (silver) the day it hit the shelf at my local shop and have not had any problems as far as the silver finish wearing down. The black was not readily available at that time (except by special order) but if the black was sitting there on the shelf I would have purchased that one!

And just to add to Chris' comment about Walmart.com, I just wanted to point out that Walmart (the physical store) and Walmart.com are actually two different companies (both owned of course, by the parent company), so you might have better luck by actually going into a store vs online.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
And just to add to Chris' comment about Walmart.com, I just wanted to point out that Walmart (the physical store) and Walmart.com are actually two different companies (both owned of course, by the parent company)
One good thing about walmart.com is that you can return an item to your nearest Walmart (the store) for full refund (minus S&H, which is nominal ($1.87 on a Minolta A1) ).
bridgesmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 1:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrmseKpr
I got my FZ1 (silver) the day it hit the shelf at my local shop and have not had any problems as far as the silver finish wearing down. The black was not readily available at that time (except by special order) but if the black was sitting there on the shelf I would have purchased that one!
I have had some problems with the silver rubbing off around the tripod mount, and it is also very slightly wearing off on the edges where I would normally hold the camera on the right side. There is also a few minute nicks her and there that now show black. I take VERY good care of this camera, and I think that most of this is just from taking the camera in and out of the case and holding it. I imagine the same thing is happening with the black cameras, but because it's black underneath the silver or black outter finish, I'm sure that it's just not noticeable on the black but still occurs all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrmseKpr
And just to add to Chris' comment about Walmart.com, I just wanted to point out that Walmart (the physical store) and Walmart.com are actually two different companies (both owned of course, by the parent company), so you might have better luck by actually going into a store vs online.
Wal-Mart only stocks Panasonic cameras on their website -- it says that they are only available online and not in local stores. Plus, at the stores themselves you're opening yourself up to additional price confusion. Online, they just don't know what they're talking about when they think the different colors are completely different models with different sets of features. In the store, they don't put the price on the box, the price tab will be missing from the shelves, the camera on display will have no power supply or memory card so you won't be able to test it out, the price tag on the display model will be gone, and the 10-year-old kid won't get out of your way so you can look at the cameras anyway (even though out of the two of you, you're the only one with money and the intention to buy). Haha.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote