Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:48 AM   #1

Default USB charging the FZ10?

When connected to a computer through USB, the FZ10 LCD-screen lights up brightly. I thought this was a waste of precious battery power, but this morning I've shoot a lot of pictures, making the battery-indicator indicate one slice less. But after managing the pictures through USB, the battery indicator was saying full-charge again.

So... can the FZ10 be charged with the USB or not?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:39 PM   #2

On the face of it, it sounds as though it does - but to be absolutely sure, you'll need to run the battery down to 1 bar, and leave connected for a few hours to see what happens then.
Let's know if you do.
pjskelti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 8:26 PM   #3

I have had many times where it shows two bars and I turn it off for a while (without even plugging it in to the computer), and when I turn it back on, it shows a full 3 bars.

So the bars are only a rough estimate, so don't trust them too much.

I have no idea about USB charging though..
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 5:58 AM   #4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FZ10 doesn't have "on-board" charging, the power socket is simply for running from the mains. What you might find is that when you're plugged in on USB that the FZ10 draws its power from that instead of the battery, or at least in part.
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:37 AM   #5

I think that the camera using less energy when the usb is plugged in. So the screen looks brighter. When you unplug the usb you can hear other features coming online. The battery will recover from a drain with time. Just like if you crank a car too long then wait a few minutes and try again. I doubt any charging is going on through usb.
bioboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:20 PM   #6

I never use the USB hook-up, only a card reader. Has anyone tried using the USB connection without the battery in the camera?
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 8:41 AM   #7

Sure. But with the camera plugged in to the charger, and the battery on the charger. The battery stops charging during this. But I really don't get the point of your question.
bioboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 9:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioboy
Sure. But with the camera plugged in to the charger, and the battery on the charger. The battery stops charging during this. But I really don't get the point of your question.
I think Guerito means, has anyone tried to see if you can power the camera purely from a USB lead, with no battery in, or mains adaptor connected.
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 1:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YenRug
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioboy
I think Guerito means, has anyone tried to see if you can power the camera purely from a USB lead, with no battery in, or mains adaptor connected.
Thanks Yen, I thought I made that pretty clear. So, has anyone tried this?
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote