Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 25, 2004, 6:12 AM   #1

Default My first pics taken in earnest!

Here's a few of my first pics taken with my FZ10, thought I'd give it a trial by fire and went down into an old mine that's open to tourists. The built in flash was obviously no good for taking shots of caverns, so I thought I'd see how it coped with the spot lighting used in the mine. Most of them were pretty rough once I got them up on screen, resizing would make them look better, but was surprised that it was able to even get anything. Focus was the main problem, but when you're looking at light brown against dark brown contrast is going to be a bit awkward!

Anyway, here's the first few pics:

http://yenrug.deviantart.com/gallery/

Obviously, I've got a few more than this, but these were the ones best suited to the site I was posting them on, also they've been resized to not "flood" the screen. Once I've had a bit more time with it I'll see about uploading some more.
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2004, 9:35 AM   #2

OK, I can see a stupid amount of views with absolutely no comments, either here or on the gallery. They are welcome, even if it's to point out where I've gone wrong.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 12:56 AM   #3

Quote:
OK, I can see a stupid amount of views with absolutely no comments, either here or on the gallery. They are welcome, even if it's to point out where I've gone wrong.
Okay, you asked for it...

Fairy Princess...

Great use of star filter
Excellent composition and use of perspective with the little winged characters (variety of size)
Nice use of light to enhance
Background a bit too undefined and needs more contrast
Face is a bit blurred and since it's the center of attention overall perhaps it needs to be sharper. Eye area too confusing with an array of reflections that don't really do much for the overall impression of the work
Surrounding winged characters appear to be too contrived and even out of touch with the rest of the work.

Miner's Meal

I like this work very much, you have created an excellent contrast in the white, somewhat fresher and cleaner pots on the left opposing those on the right side of the same bench. It's like you are relating two stories here, a more recent history of one group of miners and then that group that was around many years previous, leaving their pots sitting there, and of course all miners respect one another so the pots were left there. Of course it could have been simply some confused museum curator not being able to figure out where to place the "white" pots. In any event, you have used available light and shadow to create a great contrast in this one.

A Forest With Taste

Another nice experiment in contrasting elements, monochrome and color. I think the work would have been more effective if you had decided to close down the size of the colored window so that more of the monochrome background would have been allowed to play it's part in this contrast. In the first place, color always becomes the boss in the area of center of interest so perhaps allow the lesser a bit more room to shine? Excellent contrast of organic and geometric as well. My only serious problem with this work is the area assigned to the color. I think it should be less, but of course that is subjective.

Well, that's perhaps enough to get others started on the remaining works in your gallery and it shows that some of us are actually having a good look.

Thanks for the photos!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 8:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
Fairy Princess...

Great use of star filter
Excellent composition and use of perspective with the little winged characters (variety of size)
Nice use of light to enhance
Background a bit too undefined and needs more contrast
Face is a bit blurred and since it's the center of attention overall perhaps it needs to be sharper. Eye area too confusing with an array of reflections that don't really do much for the overall impression of the work
Surrounding winged characters appear to be too contrived and even out of touch with the rest of the work.
Thanks for the comments, I should have mentioned, Fairy Princess was a previous work and is composited from a lot of different sources. The only parts taken from photos I took myself are the main "subject" *cough* and the branch across the bottom of the image, everything else was sourced online. The branch was used to disguise the fact that the young lady was sat behind a table and I needed her positioned slightly higher up in the image, which meant she was cut off at the waist.

EDIT: Before I forget, the two photos weren't taken with the FZ10, they were from my Sony MVC-CD1000, you can see why I want something a bit more capable.