Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 26, 2004, 6:27 AM   #1

Default Rattling sounds on startup?

I've noticed that when the FZ10 starts up and the lens is extended, there is some kinda rattling sound, like the motor is stuck or something. Is this normal?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2004, 9:35 PM   #2

I would call the 'normal' sound of the lens extending in or out as more of a whirr. Not a rattle. If you really feel it's a "rattle", can you bring it to a store (or just drop by a store) that has an FZ10 and compare the sound?
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 1:09 AM   #3

No, it shouldn't rattle, but the "turn on" noise is much louder than when you zoom in and out.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 9:38 PM   #4

there is more of a heavy vibration upon lens extension on startup. I checked 3 pieces in Ritz and all were like that.
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 8:21 AM   #5

What you are hearing is a combination of two things - both are normal.

1. The large lens body tends to amplify the mechanical noise from the internal gear drive.

2. The OIS lens element is suspended by two magnetic coils. At startup the coils are not yet energized so the element has some mechanical movement.

Item 2 is the same on the FZ1 though you don't hear it as much due to the smaller body.

Nothing to worry about.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:12 PM   #6

more than that, bob, I think panasonic, in its jest for a quick startup, provided a quicker extension speed, which invariably leads to a vibrating sliding motion. If it were a tad slower, it would not make this brrr....bzzz sounds upon startup
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiks
more than that, bob, I think panasonic, in its jest for a quick startup, provided a quicker extension speed, which invariably leads to a vibrating sliding motion. If it were a tad slower, it would not make this brrr....bzzz sounds upon startup
SHHHH! Bob's going to record that as a complaint, and the next model will end up with a slower startup!
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 2:18 PM   #8

You're absolutely correct (on the faster speed)!
Early in the testing I spent an afternoon comparing the "noise" from several pieces. The issue comes up from time to time but the reliability appears solid. I see no need to worry.
Thanks guys!
Old Apr 2, 2004, 10:23 AM   #9

from an engineering stand point, I can say that it is as harmful as second hand smoke. It will affect you, but it will be long before you even notice the results. By that time, I am pretty sure most of the owners will have moved up to some other digi-cam.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 11:15 AM   #10

How will it affect us? The drive mechanism is operating well within the design specs. An audible sound is not necessarily negative. Actually, after having disassembled the lens about a dozens time the design is very simple with far fewer moving parts than you might imagine. I'd be interesting in hearing your thoughts on this.
Thanks!