Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 28, 2004, 3:09 PM   #1

Default Panasonic Bob Question re FZ10 OIS

I have been using the FZ10 for three weeks now and have found that when taking photo's of aircraft they show less detail than those taken on my Olympus C-750. Could it be the OIS is trying to compensate for the speed of a fast moving aircraft resulting in blurred/soft images? Should the OIS be turned off for these kind of images?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/km.bate...2004/index.htm

Images taken with the C-750 can be seen at

www.kevin-bates.co.uk
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2004, 4:06 PM   #2

That sounds quite likely, you most likely want to use the motor-racing mode on the camera, looks like an F1 car on the dial. That turns off the horizontal compensation and makes tracking shots better, just leaves the vertical compensation active.
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 4:37 PM   #3

Okay I will give that a try, although last time I used the speed mode the focus dot would not lock correctly it was flashing.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 4:38 PM   #4

Indeed, those kinda pictures certainly needs panning mode. (that sportcar thing)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 8:31 PM   #5

Default Focus dot not locking

Since you're shooting aircraft in flight, focus should be manuallyh set to infinity.
Just push the lever to manual focus, aim at an object over 100 feet away and push lever down to lock it to infinity.
I suspect having set the manual focus you will also get a faster shutter release response since the autofocus will not be searching.
Stratis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 8:39 PM   #6

Manual focus set to infinity would not work since they need to be further away, I have tried it and not one image was focused.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 2:17 PM   #7

Interesting comments…
OIS is an optical process so using is should not lessen the “detail.” By this, I mean that fine detail, say, such as the rivets on the aircraft, should not be less visible using OIS compared to not using it. I’m wondering, are we confusing “detail” with focus? Is the perimeter of the aircraft sharp but the overall image is soft?

OIS is designed to minimize what we refer to as “human jitter” that you would experience trying to hand hold a cam with a long tele lens. I believe it’s designed around jitter that occurs at 7-15 hz. I’d imagine that trying to follow a fast moving aircraft might create jitter that exceeds the cameras capability. In such cases the overall picture would be slightly out of focus.

An easy way to prove this would be to place the camera on a tripod and two identical images. With and without OIS should be the same.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 2:33 PM   #8

Thanks for the response, I don't use a tripod but I intend to switch the OIS off next time I shoot aircraft images to see what the results are.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 7:34 AM   #9

From what I can see the images taken with the FZ10 are all taken on overcast days. I only saw one with the 740 taken on the same type of day and it is not as clear as the others. Also the exif is missing from the 740 shots so it is hard to tell about the settings.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 8:25 AM   #10

Another thought. When shooting on a heavily overcast day, against the sky that dominates the photo, the photo may not be prioperly exposed.

During my evaluations I usually bracket any test photos. You'd be amazed how slight variations in the exposure can change the overall sharpness. In general you won't see the difference unless you look at ~ 200%

Personally I don't view photos at 200% but I suspect many comments regarding "sharpness" may be related to this issue.

Thanks for sharing your comments and observations.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote