Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 8, 2004, 2:52 PM   #1

Default FZ10 Shots of Geese

Here's my most recent posting string with action photos , they download a bit faster: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=24567
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2004, 1:03 AM   #2

Boy Norm, that's one of the clearest FZ10 pictures I've seen. Did you use a telephoto lens? What kind of post-processing did you do?
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 1:36 AM   #3

Guerto:
Here's some more, and, no, nothing special was used, just the camera's 12x optical on Manual, making sure that the sun was in the right place and the exposure was okay. This camera is prone to be a bit noisy so one slight pass through Neat Image seems to fix it up nicely.

I think the FZ10 performs well outdoors and it affords one the opportunity to get a shot they wouldn't be able to even consider with another camera. I was going to sell it but now I'm not. The range comes in very handy and all of these were handheld, some from full zoom range. It will come in very handy when I don't feel like carrying around all of the lenses and things. I'm having a blast with it these past few days (glad my Rebel went in for calibration tests). Here's a few more reduced substantially for the forum.

More shot April 8th:

Here's one that wasn't passed through Neat Image. As you can see the quality is acceptable (kept this a bit bigger so you could see it better):
Old Apr 9, 2004, 1:52 PM   #4

Yes, I remember you predicament with the lighting at the gym. I do have to agree that the FZ10 is a nice outdoor camera but I feel most of the shots are a bit soft and as you pointed out somewhat noisy. Itís a huge waste of time to have to noise filter almost every picture but I guess itís the nature of the beast. Iíve been holding back on getting a Rebel or 10D for months now because I just canít justify spending $3,500 for a lens I know I would end up buying if I got the body :-(
Old Apr 9, 2004, 3:41 PM   #5

Would you please share the setting used on this photo, I have a difficult time with a shot like this.

Thanks
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:01 AM   #6

Gene...

Set your FZ10 in "M" or manual mode and manual focus with your focus ring to the zone that you want in focus. With a more open aperture the depth of field will be less so the blur in front and behind your focal area will be more.

Another way is to AF with the shutter button pressed half-way down at selective times to lock focus where you want, such as in this particular case when peeking through the twigs into the path of the geese.

Guerto...

I haven't been missing the Rebel too much over the past few days as I've been having too much fun with the FZ10, and the light weight and easy carry is great (I carry it in a bag on the front of my mountain bike). I'm sure I'll be using the Rebel when I get it back with the 50-500 Sigma but I hope I'll be able to justify the amount of extra cash I've paid and I hope the pictures I get are "that much better" than what I seem to be getting with the FZ10 (without add-on lens). I'll probably be picking up the add-on for the FZ10 when it comes out...something I wasn't really anticipating doing until this past experience outdoors. I'm pretty darned happy and it's a joy to carry that light little tool with the 12x zoom that makes photo taking real fun. I have a few "action" photos in my new string and I hope you take the time to have a look there. I didn't want to post them here because there's already enough photos here.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:45 AM   #7

Strange, I thought I saw the DMW-LTZ10 at Henry's, but now I don't see it. I'm pretty sure it was $500 Canadian which makes it cheaper than it sells for in the States (for a change). If I see it again, I'll let you know.

As far as comparing the quality of the Rebel and the FZ10, well, there is no comparison.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:34 PM   #8

Again, GREAT pictures! I'm glad you had to send the Rebel in, too.
Bierbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:56 PM   #9

Guerito and Bierbaum, thanks for having a look and I appreciate your contributions very much!
Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:40 PM   #10

Normcar!

Thanks for the heads up re the FZ10!

I am torn...thinking about letting E20 go for a more
"versatile" dig cam.

When you have your Rebel back, does that mean
you might consider loan of your FZ10 so a lucky
one of us forum members can "test-drive" it also???

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote