Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2004, 12:34 AM   #1

Default Enough negatives! "REASONS" why the FZ10 is GREAT!

I've played with this camera for a weekend only because my Rebel went in for calibration and I have fallen deeply in love with it. I was actually planning on selling it soon because I didn't like the way it performed in certain circumstances. HOWEVER, I eat my words and am a bit concerned about the idea that this camera should be a high performer in everything under the sun. So, I have decided to post 10 of my own reasons why the FZ10 should be considered as a viable tool of photography:

1. Weighs alot less than a DSLR with similar optical zoom capabilities because to have such capabilities one would need to purchase what many would consider an extremely heavy package both weight-wise and money-wise.

2. It is robust and get's ready lightning fast. I love the sound when it turns on. It's saying, "Here I am, use me!"

3. Has a manual zoom ring, a "quick auto focus" and "AF" option in about the most wonderful place one could imagine, perfect for finger tip action in fast and tight situations.

4. Has batteries that last reasonably long and recharge very quickly overall.

5. Has Image Stabalization that works wonderfully in 2 modes.

6. Fits in a tiny pack on the front of a bicycle or other similar place.

7. Has a hotshoe (but when it really shines the word "hotshoe" doesn't even play a part, and doesn't need to because you can't expect to have a camera that does absolutely everything, that's unreasonable I would suggest. Have you ever found a race car that could also pick up and dump dirt?)

8. Has a burst button in a very handy location where you can change from single shot to H burst or low burst in an instant.

9. Has a menu that isn't overly complex and is reasonably easy to get at quickly.

10. Has an excellent quick review function, zoom review, and no review (in otherwords, it has lots of options in an important area for people who need a quick look fast, or no look at all under extreme and quick circumstances). And the viewfinder isn't hindered by anything and keeps the batteries working for long periods of time (I don't use the LCD screen with this camera because it's so comfy using the viewfinder)

Okay, there are my 10 and I could add many more quite easily. I think the camera rocks and it's certainly the right price for what it offers. More bells and whistles would only amount to more breakdown potential and higher cost to us. If anyone disagrees then I'd really appreciate it if they would post photographs that exemplify what they expect out of the camera and then explain how it falls short of their expectations. By the way, this camera also rocks with indoor or outdoor macros. If you disagree, let me know and I'll post some examples. I'm bothered and somewhat mystified by some of the negative comments on this camera and would really appreciate some of the negative commenters to start posting some examples of their problems so that I and others can perhaps comment on whether or not it's the camera or the user. Thanks.

A final word: I'd suggest that you read the "poll" on the FZ10 usually at the top of this forum, it's an excellent forum for offering Panasonic some input. I have no doubt that they are listening to our views on this particular camera and I would encourage you to post there, especially if you are one who has something positive to say. I've personally taken advantage of Phil's great idea (the author).
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:25 PM   #2

Thank You, Normcar! Finally a post where someone is bragging about the FZ10's abilities rather than complaining about it's shortcomings. I was really getting tired of reading all the negative posts.

My list:

1. That ZOOM! Even the digital zoom is useable.

2. I love that clicking sound when you press the shutter button. Just like my old Yashica SLR.

3. Very fast. Hardly any shutter lag. I upgraded from a Kodak DC4800, so this is really fast for me.

4. Easy to use, even for a beginner. I'm not exactly a beginner, but I'm not a pro either.

5. I agree, the image stablization works great.

6. I don't take pictures in the dark, but have taken low light handheld pictures at my brother's wedding. They turned out great in my opinion. The only problem was that I was using an ISO of 50 and there is some blurring caused by people movement (not camera shake!).

7. It is FUN, FUN, FUN

8. Cost me less than the DC4800 2 1/2 years ago

9. Powers up in a flash.......ready to use in seconds.

10. Did I mention it is FUN to use? I haven't been this excited about photography since I purchased an 80 - 200 zoom for my SLR about 20 years ago.
Bierbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:50 PM   #3

Quote:
I was really getting tired of reading all the negative posts.
Unfortunately I was one of those negative posters a few months ago because I hadn't yet experienced an area where the FZ10 shines. Now I have, and I'm publically confessing all of my sins, so to speak.

I certainly appreciate any help getting the word out to others that this camera is a dynamo and a gem in many areas of photography. As well, since I've gone SLR I am "really" beginning to appreciate it's ability to provide reasonable product that would, in an SLR or DSLR environment, take thousands of dollars, a tripod, and a large backpack.
I carry the FZ10 in a tiny little pack on the front of my bike and even carry it in my hand while riding about...that's how I got the squirrel jump shot in one of my other photo threads. I'd dare anyone with an SLR long zoom to even begin to attempt that trick on a mountain bike.

If Panasonic's add-on telephoto will actually do a decent job then I'll be even more impressed (that's really the only addon I'll consider, and even then I'll need to find a way to test it first or have a clear return policy). However, if not, the 12x zoom will do me just fine. I'll certainly be taking the FZ10 out to every shoot I make. I'll set the 50-500 up on a tripod and use the FZ10 for other duties. I personally think it will be a partnership blessed from above!

Thanks again for having a look at some of my photos in other strings and for contributing some of your own cherished memories of this great tool and/or toy.

And definitely the best word is as you say...fun!
Old Apr 12, 2004, 1:40 PM   #4
Pic

Hi everybody!

It's my first post in this forum and I'll try to be clear. English is not my langage.

My question is dedicated to Normcar. I saw that you got a Canon G5. First, I planed to buy this one, but now with FZ10 features, I'm not really sure about my choice.
I know that G5 and FZ10 are very different.
I like to make portrait with short depth of field (very blur). With a big zoom it will be easier?
What about Canon's zoom.
I'm a little afraid about picture quality without anti-shake feature. I had a Sony and pictures with maximum zoom were very noisy and blur. Canon have this problem?
Thank you.
Pic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 9:53 PM   #5

Hi Pic, I'll try to answer your question:

I have taken both cameras with me when shooting over the past few weeks and have tested both outdoors with respect to color saturation, sharpness, contrast, and overall picture quality. There is almost no difference and the FZ10 certainly stands up under close scrutiny outdoors.

Indoors the G5 seems to perform better, and the focus assist comes in handy as well. However, the G5 is slower to respond than the FZ10 and it's menu and button settings are less comfortable for me personally. However, these last two things are subjective. One more thing, the 4 or 5 megapixel difference between the two is not significant as far as I'm concerned.

Overall, if I had to give up one or the other, I would immediately give up the G5 because the FZ10's overall setup is faster and it's just a more versatile camera, especially for action. It's ability range stretches way beyond the G5, primarily because of the 12x stabalized lens, but I also believe that this camera will not deliver what it is capable of delivering in the area of action unless you are willing to go to "manual" mode where you can control exposure via shutter speed and "blur" via aperture setting. I think that a person has to be willing to spend some "study" time with this camera if they really want it to shine. As well, I'd suggest that the person who buys it mustn't be bothered and feel like a failure because some of the photos need to be run through a slight bit of noise reduction (I use Neat Image). I don't think the smaller sensor will ever compare to a DSLR but I also don't think that the difference is substantial and I am personally quite happy with the final result after a minor bit of noise processing. The saving in cost is substantial and one doesn't need to haul around 10 pounds of equipment to get a good shot.

I have no trouble getting a decent blur with the FZ10 and the zoom range definitely helps. The close-ups of the goose heads in my "geese" strings in this forum clearly offer an example of that.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 1:07 AM   #6

[quote="Pic"]Hi everybody!

It's my first post in this forum and I'll try to be clear. English is not my langage.[quote]

LOL, you speak (write), better English than most North Americans. What is your first language?
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 5:53 AM   #7
Pic

Thanks Normcar, your experience is very interesting for me and not so subjective!

-------

My first language is french...speaking from Bordeaux.
Pic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 9:03 PM   #8

Pic, good luck in your search.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 3:58 AM   #9

Well lets see. I lurk here more than post but this is an interesting one now I'm coming to terms with the FZ beast. Its the little things like, a momentary stop between optical zoom and digital zoom. Its the centre magnifier on the screen/EVF, in manual focus. Thats just beautiful to use and deadly accurate.

Its the glorious manual mode read outs not only before the shot, but also half depressed, with + and -, reminds me of my all time favourite readout in the Canon T90 SLR. Its the auto focus spot which is an amazing addition to those that want autofocus. Its the logical set out and functions set around the main set buttons.

Ok thats the little things that all add up to making life a pleasure for me with the FZ10. The obvious and also the most important one, is the glass and optics used. Panasonic has some heck of a glass and elements in this thing. It really becomes obvious when taking shots of compound eyes on flies, hooper's, bees, butterflies etc. Not of much interest to most probably , BUT this is where the quality of optics becomes very apparent. To see those compound eyes which are a major headache to get sharp with most optics, is quite incredible in the FZ beast. So for me, that set of optics I would recommend to anyone for sure. Makes life fun with added lenses for sure.

A great idea Norm for a thread, makes us think what we have and how great it really can be.

All the very best panasonic-ites , it is an excellent well thought out box

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:02 PM   #10

nzmacro, thanks for the input and I hope that others here who may be doubting the abilities of this camera will take a look at some of your macros for a quick lesson.

It's a good camera and I carry it with me everywhere now, whether I'm planning to shoot or not. Compared to my SLR pack it's like carrying a feather so I can be comfortably armed at all times.