Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:39 PM   #1

Default Close to the FZ10 but a few more ???'s

Hello Everyone

I must say if you asked me a couple of weeks ago if a Panasonic would "even" be on my list of possible cameras I'd given you a "got to be kidding" look. In the camera world one normally thinks of Canon , Nikon , Minolta , etc... Panny is for phones , TV's and Mirowave's. Oh how wrong can one be !!!

What started out as two contenders - the Canon S1 and Olympus C-750 turned into a four way free-4-all with the Nikon 5700 and Fuji S7000. With no clear winner I said what the heck look at the Panny. This Panny is now the "Seabisquit" of the camera race!! Before I pull the trigger just a few ???'s

(1) Is there any certain "SD" cards to advoid or just causes fits with the camera (aka Fuji S7000)? Any brand better?

(2) From what I understand the size of filters is 72mm. Is there a way to go with 58mm or 52mm both which I have on our AF SLR.

(3) Only downside of the FZ10 is 'No AA" batteries. Certain ones to advoid or get?

(4) Go with a Extended Warranty? I'll order off on-line since I can get a better deal there. Suggestions on which retailer.

Thanks for any help on this camera. All i can say is the "PQ" on this camera is simply amzing.

Kenny J.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2004, 2:29 PM   #2

Hi! I've had the FZ10K for over 3 months now, and I thank my lucky stars every day that I bought it....

1) The best SD cards to get are the Panasonic or Simple Tech, the latter being a "rebranded" Panasonic but cheaper as it's under a different name. Get a 256mb card as those are faster cards than the 128mb or less and they will take maximum advantage of the camera's burst mode and will write the pic to the card faster. I have a Pana 256mb and a SimpleTech 256mb ProX; the latter is currently on sale at buy.com for a really low $61 with free shipping which is a tremendous bargain (may be out of stock right now but keep checking the website). Stay away from SanDisk and its Ultras as there have been reports of bad cards.

2)You can get a 52mm adapter at this website ---

http://www3.coara.or.jp/~shingu_t/engulish/e_top.htm

The're made by a gentleman in Japan, Mr. Yoshida, and they are of excellent quality. You e-mail him, pay by Paypal, and he'll send whatever size you need that is listed to you.

3)The Panasonic lithium-ion batteries are expensive (around $45) but you can get "generic" compatibles from Eagle Imports on E-bay ---

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...0&BasicSearch=

They're $25 with shipping. I have 2 and they're just as good as the Panasonic battery.

4)Extended warranties are ok as Panasonic's is only 90 days but most folks don't get one. The Fluzi is a tough camera and there haven't been many problems reported. Besides, the next generation FZ10 will probably be out in a year or 2. However, if you still would like an extended warranty, check Vanns.com or OneCall.com; they're about $40 for 2 years as opposed to Panasonic's $100 for the same length of time.

This is one heckuva fun camera and you'll want to take it with you everywhere. Just look at Normcar's threads on the incredible shots you can get. And remember, Norm was ready to sell his FZ10 as he didn't like its low-light performance....

Best Wishes,

Steve

http://trailhiker.smugmug.com
sdwsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 5:01 PM   #3

Steve has given excellent advice and knows the camera very well. Nice shots we are seeing from him.

I just had to smile about your comments on Panasonic for cameras . Thats exactly how I felt when the name first popped up when I was searching for an upgrade to the Sony. LOL. I confess. Coming from Canon and Nikon Slr's and then to the Sony, the name Panasonic was new to me as well. I asked for macro shots from the FZ10 at dpreview to see the possibilities of it. That was all I needed to see to convince me.

I use real odd ball optics in front of cameras to get what I want and need. Clear sharp optics on the camera end is a must, its critical. The FZ10 beast I can tell you has darn sharp glass IMO, to start with.

A few macro shots after a few days with the FZ10 beast

http://www.nzmacro.50megs.com/fz10/fz10.htm

So yes Panasonic does make one heck of a camera IMO when added lenses are involved.

What made me smile the most with your post, is that I'm on a nature only forum with mainly slr and dslr shooters. The First comment I got about 4 years ago was "I thought Sony only made video cameras and stereos" :roll: Now what the heck are they going to say when I tell them I'm shooting with a Panasonic, LOL.

So thanks for the laugh and the reminder. Enjoy it, I know you will.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 6:31 PM   #4

Listen to Danny (aka nzmacro), and learn.....

To everyone reading this thread, I cannot underestimate the importance of clicking on Danny's pagelink and viewing the nzmacro magician at work....here's the link again...

http://www.nzmacro.50megs.com/fz10/fz10.htm

Danny is the most modest of fellows so I hope he won't mind it when I say that his FZ10 pics are miniature jewels. And he is a creator; he created the "high speed flash and water drops" pic by dripping water off the top of a carnation bud and adding an "el cheapo magnifying glass" onto the FZ10! He corresponds mostly at dpreview.com 's Panasonic forum where we're dazzled by the things he comes up with. So from Norm's action nature shots to Danny's macro magic, the FZ10 "beast" shows why it's one of the most versatile cameras around.

Cheers, Danny!

Steve
sdwsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 6:52 PM   #5

sdwsp, thanks for the link to Danny's macros. I knew that the FZ10 had great macro capabilities but not to this extent. I'm extremely impressed, and the "magnifying glass" story gives me a hint as to why Danny is able to get such gems, he's extremely creative and willing to experiment and try anything available. He's not a loud-mouth like me so I'm very glad that you have exposed his talents for many of us here!

"Versatile" is an excellent word to describe the FZ10. I shudder at the thought that I almost lost out on it's rewards because of the DSLR craze. I'm quite thankful that my Rebel was sent off for calibration and I was "forced" to take the FZ10 out of mothballs.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 7:19 PM   #6

LOL, thanks Steve, but we are just clickers, mother nature is the master for sure.

Norm (hope thats right) the 300D and the D10 are incredible cameras. The noise is the most impressive thing of all on those IMHO. The D70 as well is certainly amazing. I shoot mainly with added 35mm slr lenses to get the ratios but I must say, we have to start off with extremely sharp glass in the camera to start with, the FZ beast surprised me on that to be honest.

Anyway going OT here so back to Kenny's original post. Kenny, good luck with what you need, if you can, post here what you end up with. We will be interested. I lurk more than post but would be interested for sure.

All the best folks. See you there Steve.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:39 PM   #7

Macro, thanks for your wonderful contributions to the FZ10 world. Wow, excellent stuff!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote