Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 18, 2004, 12:41 PM   #11

I think I can summarize this thread for a lot of us amateurs out here. The post was interesting and it showed that adding a zoom lens to the FZ-10 can get you some pretty close-up shots. I do appreciate it shene. We all see tons of examples of different cameras' abilities on various web sites. We take all with a "grain of salt" knowing that results will vary with operator ability, etc. I'm not sure too many people are trying to judge quality of these lenses based on these shots which are about 4 x 3 on my monitor.

I used to use a Crystal Optics 2X zoom lens with my 4300. By all accounts, a cheap piece of junk. But for my 4 x 6 photos, CA minimally noticeable. Did I expect the world for $50, no, I got what I paid for. So would I expect the Panasonic lens in the hands of an excellent photographer like Normcar to produce excellent results--yes. But I think there are far more people like me who take this as a hobby, something to distract us from work, etc. These lenses (from shene's post) are the ones most of us would consider. It gives us an idea of what will work with this camera.

If we could afford more, I doubt most of us would have even bought the FZ-10. I agree it isn't perfect by any stretch, but I love it and think it gives me a lot of features for a reasonable price.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 6:33 PM   #12

srvsd, I fully understand what you are saying and appreciate your input on the matter. I myself am an amateur, and I would have had absolutely no problem with this string if a photo from the FZ10 "without" converter had been posted along with the one above to demonstrate that the FZ10's capabilities for quality are not specifically reflected by the ones that "were" posted. Either that, or just post the technical stuff (which I agree is informative) and leave out the photographs of the birds.

The FZ10 has been bashed continuously by people who just cannot be happy with what even the core camera offers (as is demonstrated in the top 2 postings in Panasonic). Finally we are getting some people posting some great shots with the camera of nature, aircraft, macros, etc., and I would be willing to bet that because of these photos many have gone out and purchased the camera, because they are not being deceived by some comments and postings.

My reaction is related to that and nothing else. If some are taking my comments personally, I can't do anything about that. I'm sure that my message has been clearly made now, so I'm going to bid this string "so long" and I'm sure that most of you will be quite happy to see my backside.

Nothing personal to anyone.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 11:35 AM   #13

What's with the photos now, Normcar. I really want to see what's so special about that converter. I hope you haven't wasted your money.
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:12 PM   #14

Trdi?

I haven't even received the converter yet, what are you talking about? My recently posted photos on the other string? If so, perhaps you should have posted the question in "that" string.

Had you read carefully you would have read that those marsh and bird shots were taken in very low light, sunset, at 36x "digital" zoom, hand held. The other shots were a step in another direction with the camera, extremely low light, stopped down aperture, to get colorful sunsets and painterly effects. The only "technical" part of those posts was the distance covered on the pond.

If you were not talking about my recent posts on April 21st and 22nd, then I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to. Now I'll try to escape this string once more.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:28 PM   #15

Looks like a misunderstanding to me, no need to be offended. I thought I've read in posts posted on 17 or 18th that you're waiting for the new converter and that you are getting it in 3 days. Now I see that those 3 days were mentioned about something else.
Never mind, when you get the converter I would really like to see the shots. I'm sure it can't be that expensive just for nothing.
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:33 PM   #16

Trdi, not to worry, I don't get offended at things talked about in Steve's Digicams. It just isn't that important. I'll definitely let you know when and if I actually purchase that converter when it arrives. I'll do a quick "in store" check and if it seems to perform fine then I'll fork over the cash. If not, well, then I'll have a little discussion with the store about the "return" policy.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 3:29 PM   #17

Default Panasonic converter

>I'm sure it can't be that expensive just for nothing.

Sure it can
jjmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 2:16 AM   #18

So Trdi is being reasonable and you are being what?