Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 18, 2004, 12:44 PM   #1

Default I dropped my new FZ1

I dropped my 3 week old FZ1, and it survived the 4 foot drop test without serious damamge. It did sustain an inch long chip of plastic on the battery side. The camera is functional and I have the two pieces that broke off. Should I superglue? , is the plastic housing a high cost item?

Thanks in advance...Tim
timtimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2004, 7:23 PM   #2

I superglued my Canon, sanded and painted with liquid black shoe polish and it worked great. I had to do it about 4 times over to add coats but nobody has noticed since. It's a secret that I will never reveal!
Ancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:03 PM   #3

Superglue is not the best choice for plastic. What you want is a CA glue or epoxy. Look around your hardware store for something that is made for bonding plastic.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:29 PM   #4

Default Re: I dropped my new FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimm
Should I superglue? , is the plastic housing a high cost item?
Tim,

Check the following website for parts:

http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/Epartr...istChoice.asp?

You'll need to enter in "DMC-FZ1" in the Search By Model section, and make sure you click the List Parts by Model button instead of just pressing the enter key or you'll get an error.

The various casing parts that I saw were in the $20-30 range. Not bad for making it look perfect. You may need to call them to verify the correct part. I'm going to give them a call to get a service manual from them if it isn't too expensive. I'd like to get a blown out picture of the FZ1 with all the parts labeled.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:32 AM   #5

I acn e mail you the parts breakdown (in PDF) if you can describe what area of the camera was damaged. Be forwarned that replacing the case may be difficult for someone who is not experienced working on such electronic products. There are several small flexible cables that are easily damaged.
PM me with an e-mail address.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:03 PM   #6

Just to give a "layman's" word here, I second what Panasonic Bob says -- replacing the case of electronics equipment is not always a job for just anyone.

Personally, I would attempt it because I've been taking stuff apart, fixing it, enhancing it, rebuilding it, and then putting it back together again since I was like 8 years old. I am now a semi-retired network engineer, too, so I've taken apart my share of electronics. Still, even I would proceed with caution, and if I got to a point where I couldn't see what I needed to do to remove the case or some other part, I would stop and reassemble, and get help. If you do want to attempt it, I would recommend buying the service manual. It is available from Panasonic Support, but you have to call them to get it (or even find out what the price is) because they don't list it as a "parts" item on their webpage.

Although FZ1 cameras are getting so inexpensive now that rather than pay Panasonic to repair it, you might end up better off financially to just buy a new one. They can be commonly had for $250 and frequent specials bring the price down to $235 and even as low as $199 (reported at a California Fry's Electronics).

Just my two cents...
Old Apr 19, 2004, 2:59 PM   #7

Default Dropped FZ1

Thanks for all of the replies, the damage is very minor down at the bottom by the battery cover. It will be worth about $50.00 to get it repaired. The damage is all comestic, so I just need to make sure I don't drop it again. Thanks again all......Tim
timtimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 3:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffZeeOne
... I would recommend buying the service manual. It is available from Panasonic Support, but you have to call them to get it (or even find out what the price is) because they don't list it as a "parts" item on their webpage.
This service manual sounds intriguing. I wonder what kind of information one could get from it.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 3:55 PM   #9

I'm unable to send the entire manual, just the parts list.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 4:54 PM   #10

Bob,

Can you provide a broken out picture of the FZ1 with the parts labeled by part number? If not, do you know if the service manual has such a thing? I'm not having much luck with Panasonic Support telling me anything about the service manual.