Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:42 PM   #1

Default FZ1 Problems.

Have an FZ1 with very very poor indoor results. Panasonic has been of no help and does not stand behind this product. Any ideas of how to improve indoor results? I am very disappointed with this camera.
sm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2004, 3:19 PM   #2

Can you be more specific as to what kind of problems you are having. FZ-1 is great for outdoors but still ok for indoor. Post some pictures.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 8:14 AM   #3

Please PM me with the name of te person you spoke with at Panasonic, and explain what problem you are having. Unless you have some problem we've never heard of, I'm very shocked to hear you say that they weren't able to help you.
I'll be waiting for your message.
Thanks
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 8:15 AM   #4

Very strange, only one post from this person and no location is given?
Old Apr 22, 2004, 2:42 PM   #5

FYI, to all..
Problems resolved Customer appears to be happy! ;-)
Old Apr 22, 2004, 7:10 PM   #6

To Panasonic Bob:

Could you explain how the problem was solved, at least the part about poor quality indoor pictures? I still find that the camera does poorly indoors with flash even though I've tried many different things to improve it. I think it mainly comes from the fact that there is no white balance setting for incandescent light. There is one for halogen, but that doesn't do the trick. Most people don't have a lot of halogen lights in their homes.

Garth
garthmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:53 PM   #7

I guess I'm one of those people who just don't have problems with this camera taking indoor shots -- most of my pictures are indoor shots of my young children.

I don't move the white balance setting off Auto when using the flash (except if I'm using Slow Sync mode to light up a very big room). I cannot emphasize enough about how well I think the auto WB setting works with the flash -- Panasonic did very well on this function. The further away I am from my subject, the more inclined I am to set the ISO at auto or even just use the Simple mode. I'm not always as happy with the auto ISO setting as I am the auto WB, but auto ISO still works pretty well most of the time. Sometimes it goes up to 400 ISO when I think it should be down in the 200-300 ISO range, but...I didn't get the cable to do the Vulcan mind meld with my FZ1, so it just doesn't take my opinion into consideration when it comes to auto ISO!

I'm very happy with these pictures, and they're much better than any other indoor shots from any other digicam I've owned (Sony, Kodak, Minolta, and Olympus). I have a slave trigger and bounce flash that will work with my FZ1, but I have yet to use them other than just playing around and testing things out. Haven't needed to.

I don't mean to sound like "nanny-nanny-boo-boo! I get good results indoors" or anything of the sort -- I just don't consider the FZ1 to be a bad indoor camera, and consider the onboard flash to be above average when it comes to digital cameras.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 9:00 AM   #8

Sure, he sent me three photos; two were terrible!

After reviewing the EXIF data it was obvious where the problems were. Image one: the image was taken hand held at 1/15 thof a sec @ F2.8 with the flash disabled. To solution was simple, enable the flash! On the second one the canera was set to ISO 400 with Saturation, Detail and Contrast set to max. The photo was taken y looking directly into a bright sunny window so it was a case of extreme backlight.

The third image, taken outdoors looked perfect, even at ISO 400.

I spent about 20 minutes on the phone pointing out some do's and don'ts. This was a case of being unfamiliar with basic DSC operation. No problem found with the camera.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:15 PM   #9

And I'd be willing to bet that is the same sort of thing that's happening with owners of the FZ10 who natter time and again about this or that problem.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:15 PM   #10

Default FZ1 Problems

Found the right person at Panasonic to help me. He has been extremely responsive and offered some very useful suggestions. Expecting the camera back in a few days and look forward to trying his recommendations.

Steve
sm54 is offline   Reply With Quote