Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 23, 2004, 11:28 AM   #11

April 2004 issue of Popular Photography and Imaging, page 44, under "Distance Runner" test:

Sharpness was great for a 4 MP camera -- edging into 5 MP territory -- while color ranked with the best. Digital noise was also very well controlled. Lab test results of the image stabilization were impressive. We got acceptably sharp results in 100 percent of the shots at 1/30 sec -- at 420mm! At 1/10 to 1/25 sec, our lab was still getting acceptably sharp shots 75 percent of the time. Field tests confirmed this; we actually had some difficulty getting blurry shots! All told, this new Lumix gives new meaning to the term "far out."

Here's a sample lesson on sharpness from dzmacro:
http://www.nzmacro.50megs.com/fz10/fz10.htm

Some aircraft from another poster:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7994986

I'm afraid that I just don't see the problem. My own personal experience with the camera agrees with the above visual and textual testimony.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 1:43 PM   #12

Default great work by dzmacro

i had already seen photos by dzmacro. he is fantastic!!!! i would like to read the entire review on the fz10. i have seen so-so reviews in other publications. this review, however, is very well documented and done by professionals. i cannot argue with them. they are out of my league. i have also read favorable posts regarding the fz10. i am not bad-mouthing the camera. i really do like it.
my opinion remains the same however. if i were all alone thinking this way about the soft pictures then i would know that it must just be me. as i said before, i waited for four months before writing anything about the problem. i was convinced that it was just my lack of skill. too many people, however, have experienced the same problem. i have seen this in various forums.
i am not alone.

p.s. even with state of the art equipment, i would not be able to take photos like dzmacro. he is truly impressive.
callas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 2:06 PM   #13

sorry; i meanīt to say nzmacro.(not dzmacro)
Old Apr 23, 2004, 2:16 PM   #14

callas, I'm afraid that I just don't follow your argument. You say that you "really like" this camera, yet you are frustrated and somewhat mystified at the apparent "softness" of the image. If the camera gives you images that are too soft, then why in the world do you really like it?

You claim to respect the views from the magazine I quoted from, yet you choose to ignore their findings and have decided to believe the too many people who have experienced the same problem. Have you considered the possibility that these too many people are all amateurs who are stumbling over the same rock?

Your post is confusing and you seem to be walking the fence here.

Respectfully, Normcar
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 3:23 PM   #15

Default Have to agree

with Nomcar.

I no pro, but I am picky, all the "soft" photos I've taken have been my fault (or the target moves). I also can't agree with the noise thing. I did a lot of reseach looking at images from various cams before buying the FZ10 & one of the reasons I bought it is it has less noise than alot of other cameras {including 5 & 8 mp cams} without overprossesing that turns the grass into green mud.

No disrespect, but how can you really like a cam that you think takes bad pic's.
jjmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 3:29 PM   #16

Default Re: Have to agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead
No disrespect, but how can you really like a cam that you think takes bad pic's.
I think people are putting words in his mouth -- I went back and read the thread and he never said that it takes bad pics. He said it took soft pics and he prefers them to be sharper. He also continually says that he still likes the camera and would buy another Panasonic in the future. Get it? He actually LIKES the camera! Why do some people seem to be trying to convince him that he actually does not like the camera?

I recommend reading this -- it's about folks having too much brand loyalty and being overly defensive about a stupid digital camera:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/peepers.shtml
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 10:55 PM   #17

i am sorry that my post is causing controversy.
to normcar: i respect your opinions. please respect mine.
i like my camera because it is versatile, fun, and generally a very very good camera. i am allowed to criticize what i see as being faults. i said in the very beginning that i am an amateur. i cannot compete in the big leagues. in an open forum, however, my opinion is as valid as anyone elseīs. if there is a forum only for professionals, then i will not post. i know my place.
i will not criticize anyone for an opinion that differs from my own. we all learn from each other. even the greatest professor can learn something from a student.
i did wait for a good bit of time before submitting my post. i was not irrational. my experiences led me to my own conclusions.
i am not riding the fence. even if i choose to do so, that is my business.
just as you have mentioned that others have praised this camera, i am not wrong in saying that many have mentioned the softness problem and the noise problem.
for me, these things really do exist. for you, they may just be imaginary, or the fault of the photographer. i accept your point of view. please accept mine.
you have made your point, and done so very well. you have presented documented proof which i cannot dispute. i am just one of the many people that have suffered the same problem. maybe we all have the same faults.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:37 AM   #18

My turn :evil:

From a six page review in the Feburary issue of Digital Camera Shopper;

"Noise starts to appear in shadows at ISO100, is painfully visible at ISO200, and in this ISO 400 slowsynch shot (image) just screams off the page. And it isn't just a touch of soft grain, colours fade, detail blurs away and only the brightest highlight retain any sharpness."

Of course Panasonic is a sponsor, so they couldn't be too harsh.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 8:53 AM   #19

I have an FZ10 and have tried some of the different settings pertaining to sharpness, contrast and saturation. I was experiencing some of the same results (and frustrations) described in your post. I now leave my camera set on "high" for normal daylight shooting on these three settings and find the results exceptional. You just have to remember to set them to low or standard in low light or night shooting situations.
dwhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 7:34 PM   #20

I have to admit to some puzzlement regarding the FZ10 sharpness debates. Some reviews say the pictures are soft. Other reviews praise it for being wonderfully sharp. There seems to be a thread debating FZ10 sharpness here almost constantly. However the subject almost never comes up at the dpreview forums, instead there's just page after page of extremely sharp photos. I have no reason to question their honesty when they say that the photos have not been sharpened in post processing. Of course I don't have any reason to question the honesty of those here and in reviews who claim that the camera they have is soft.

If it were just a few pros getting sharp photos, we could chalk it up to knowing how to make the most of a limited tool. However, lots of amateurs are routinely getting sharp snapshots. My own FZ10 produces very sharp photos with little effort, and I'm no pro. However, my dad was a pro, so I recognize a soft photo when I see one.

I'm wondering if this isn't a quality control issue at some level. Some FZ10s are quite sharp, others a bit soft. From the previous posts in this thread, and my own observations, it sounds like the softness issue is primarily one of focus not being quite spot on. People seem to have better results using spot focus, or manual focus. For what it's worth, it seems to me that early units tended to suffer from sharpness more than recent units - at least that's my assessment based on the "chatter".

What do y'all think?

jim
drnihili is offline   Reply With Quote