Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 5, 2004, 1:15 PM   #21

There really aren't anyadjustment, other than user menu settings, that will make oe unit sharper than another. I've been reading these threads and doing my own research to try and identify whta might be occuring. Here's my thoughts.

Depth of field: Shooting in auto mode many people never look to see where the aperture is being set. I'm often guilty of this. Later we look at the photo, often unhappy that the background is "soft." I strongly suspect that many such cases are "soft" due to a shallow depth of field. Set your FZ10 up on a tripod and take some test shots in aperture priority mode. Take three shots; wide open, half way, and minimum aperture. Try this with subjects at varying distances.

Another possibility is a slight amount of motion blur. I've tried some test shots hand held and on a tripod. In some cases the tripod may be just a smidge better.

Manually exposed images, where the image was slightly overexpoesed, will loose detail in the highlights. The lack of very subtle detail can fool the brain into thinking that an image is softer than it may really be.

Than again, sometimes softer is better. while comparing some cameras I had the opportunity to photograph some young ladies. In each case the software image was preferred - they saw less facial flaws!

Appreciate all the feedback

BTW, I really like the new look of the forum!

Thanks

Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 3:59 PM   #22

Guys,

One more possibility that may influence how you see your photos. I decided to try the file attachment feature.

On one of the PC's I use to evaluate photos I noticed that certain aspects of photos were just not as sharp as I saw them on other PC's. I discovered that the PC in question was using a monitor extension cable - about 4 ft. The cable caused an "echo" on the video signal that cause a faint but visible shadow image to appear where ever fine detail appeared, usualy to the right of the object. I attached a small photo taken from my monitor. Notice the faint image after the last character of each name. It may be difficult to see though it's more visible looking at the monitor.

Removing the extension cable cleared up the problem and the images looked much better.
Attached Images

Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote