Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:54 AM   #11

the photos that i have seen on this thread are beautiful and sharp. i am beginning to think that all of the cameras are not equal. i know that the skill of the photographer does count a lot.
as for weather conditions and short winter days, i live in southern europe. portugal. our winters are temperate with a lot of sunshine. i experimented on sunny as well as cloudy days. here it doesn´t snow so i don´t know about those conditions :lol:
i do believe that it has to do with the camera because there was a marked difference between my fz1 and my fz10. i would like to buy another one to make sure. unfortunately i cannot return mine. i ordered it online from america. they were not on sale here at the time. i will have to wait because customs taxes here are very very high. :evil:
callas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:09 PM   #12

callas, I wish you well in your search and if I can help out in any way, please let me know. I respect your desire to get better photographs and I'm sure that you eventually will get what you want because your desire seems sincere!

And what I would "give" to live in your area! The scenery must be unbelievable for photography.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:12 PM   #13

Steve, thanks for the info on the printing...encouraging!

To others:

I took these photos in 2 hours and my primary intention was to destroy any thoughts here that the FZ10 is not capable of focusing properly.

If you wish to criticise anything, then start with these photographs and I'd be happy to respond. And I will not be bugged if you have something negative to say, but be damned prepared to justify any criticisms. In other words, fart, but be prepared to justify your smell.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:31 PM   #14

Well callas, I do think there may be something wrong and I don't like the term "User error" at all to be honest. I've seen some use that term and then the same thing happens to them, its interesting to watch . I have seen it happen with the 717 and 828 on dpreview, my how things change when its them that it happens to. I've even posted once to someone that said it "User error", LOL, did I cop it, well they said it about someone else first on the same subject. So I say, get the camera checked out and if you can, compare it if possible even in a camera shop if you know a friendly one. Take a sd card with you and try it and explain why. They might just let you do it.

So ok, I use photoimpact and always use sharpening and then "edge preserving blur" which helps with holding the edges and getting rid of unwanted noise. Now I've always done that with all digital images from all my cameras. I honestly don't expect perfect sharpness out of the box. I will try in board sharpening now though for the heck of it, that could be interesting, but I would not recommend using it full time.

Steve, I've just D/L that noise software, I'll give that a try thanks

All the best folks, I hope this all works out callas.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:43 PM   #15

Macro, thanks for the input. I'm always happy and pleased when you visit my string!
Old Apr 25, 2004, 4:53 PM   #16

Hi All,
Thanks for a great forum where we novices can learn. The FZ10 is my first camera as I had been waiting for prices to come down and quality to improve, and when the FZ10 came on the scene, I decided to go for it. I have found it to be an extremely versatile machine/tool, and as has so rightly been said, a tool or instrument is only as good as the ability whereby it is put to use. I initially thought the camera was faulty or not as good as expected for many reasons, one of them being a "lack of sharpness", and a few other issues [eg : white balance, etc], until with a bit of help from this and dpreview's forums, I discovered [am still discovering] that it is not the camera that is faulty, but just a lack of experience on my side and knowledge of lighting, focus etc., and what started out as a love/hate relationship [LOVE the ZOOM], is slowly developing into a more steady "Good Friendship", and I would not part with my FZ10. I am learning it's strong points and weak points, and overall, it is a "darn" good camera, producing some "darn" good pictures [most of the good ones are flukes with me at the moment] Some tweaking of pics with software is sometimes necessary, hey, but show me any musician who doesn't play his instrument through some sort of effects, like reverb, bass or treble boost, etc.
As far as sharpness is concerned most of the shots I obtain are SHARP, I don't normally print, but I have done a few at 4570mm x 3050mm, and the results are very pleasing. Thanks again for your various inputs.
I have a few sample shots at :

http://community.webshots.com/user/jaket102

Although I upload them at full resolution, it seems Webshots downsizes them, so unfortunately the "full resolution" pics are not available.

Regards

Jake

BTW, Danny, thanks for the tips on macro shots using a magnifying glass. When I read your post a few days ago, I immediately went and bought one, and am busy experimenting with it, having great fun !!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 6:12 PM   #17

i would love to walk into a shop and test another fz10. unfortunately, they are not yet in portugal. i shall have to wait until i go abroad. i did visit the friend that i sold my fz1 to. we went into her garden and took a few photos. i know that you cannot compare the two models. the photos, were however, beautiful and incredibly sharp - just as i had remembered. i am seriously thinking about buying another camera. for now, i have to wait until i take another trip. cameras are too expensive in portugal. i bought the fz1 when it first came on the market here for €700!!! now i can order one from the internet here in europe and not pay custom taxes. but i want to try it in my hand before buying. my camera is not bad, there is just something that is not 100% correct. i am truly convinced.
i hope to go to america this summer where i will look at other fz10´s first hand.

andré in lisbon
callas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 7:06 PM   #18

Don't mean to be picky, but those pictures of Normcar are not of lamas. Lamas are Buddhist monks - usually associated with Tibet. In fact the Dalai Lama is currently visiting Canada. Those animals are llamas, with ll at the beginning, although in Spanish, the double l is considered a single, separate letter. On another note, Normcar's language could do with some cleaning up. I think this forum has gone through enough after that guy who insisted on his right to capitalize everything. I'm glad to see that he was totally ignored on his later posts.
garthmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 6:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthmoe
On another note, Normcar's language could do with some cleaning up. I think this forum has gone through enough after that guy who insisted on his right to capitalize everything. I'm glad to see that he was totally ignored on his later posts.
I have to say, what on earth are you talking about? I've not noticed anything offensive in Normcar's language, before now.
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 6:47 AM   #20

YenRug, I guess you missed his rant full of foul language. Obviously, it's been edited out (perhaps by Normcar himself?).
garthmoe is offline   Reply With Quote