Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:57 AM   #1

Default Sharp? The FZ10? (new photos, April 28th)

I've reduced shots to 700 pixels and in various areas I have copied and pasted a section so it didn't need to be reduced, yet it will download relatively quickly...
Spring buds

Close up of the above:

CU

reed:

close up of that reed:

Last one

CU
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2004, 1:30 AM   #2

Default FZ10 - Sharpness

Hi Norm,
Your pictures speak for themselves: tack sharp, as well as creative and artistic. However, not one of the 8,000 pictures taken with my FZ10 has been nearly as sharp as your examples. Many can be sharpened during post-processing, but the results rarely look natural on the screen.

When printed (at Costco or Walgreens), most of my FZ10 pictures look as sharp as most of my better film-based prints; but when viewed on the screen, they're just not as sharp as the pictures taken with my 2 mpx Kodak DC290 or your FZ10. "Viewing" in this context usually means being able to see the entire picture, either in a large window or full-screen, rather than at actual pixel resolution (100%).

A couple of weeks ago, my wife used the DC290 to take some photos of cacti near Tucson. Their sharpness and detail were astonishing, particularly since I've become used to the slightly out-of-focus pictures from my FZ10.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 1:37 AM   #3

Charlie, excellent point,and something that I have not personally tested or studied.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 2:11 AM   #4

Charlie, I'm responding a second time specifically to you because I think that I now know the trouble...light. You are not yet respecting light as you need to.

Here is the experiment. Take your camera, no matter what it is, your wife's or the FZ10. Wait until about 1/2 hour before sunset and play with the manual settings, especially aperture with light. Stop that thing down to maximum 8 and point it up at the sky, and if you see a bird flying towards you, push that aperture open and increase the shutter speed.

Essentially, respond according to the situation, and then your camera will do what you wish, as long as the camera is able...and the FZ10 is able. It can't do an F22, but it "can" do a very acceptable F8.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 2:42 AM   #5

Charlie, try this, take some pictures of objects at a close distance, almost macro, so that the subject fills the frame. The closer you are to an object, the sharper it will be with any camera because you are using more pixels (or film grain), to capture the image. For example, if you were to take a picture of a flower and it only covered a small portion of the frame, you would not see much detail, but if you filled the frame, you would see much more detail. If your pictures still don't look sharp then, you may have a problem with your camera.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 4:02 AM   #6

Old Apr 24, 2004, 4:06 AM   #7

Old Apr 24, 2004, 5:10 AM   #8

Rather than lets say.......user error, could it be a batch problem with the FZ10.

I took around 30 macro shots today and sharp as a tack. Do I still need to run them through software to make them tack sharp, yes I do. No more than I' have to do with the Sony or Oly though.

To be honest I have not seen any shots from digital cameras that does not benefit from the std software tweaks. Unless.... a camera has on board sharpening already turned on. Not something I would recommend to be honest. That could well be what some are seeing from other cameras though for sure.

I took some shots of aphids today, full frame, fit about 6 of them on a pin head, all fairly darn sharp when we take into account all the added glass and elements I put on the front of the FZ10. Surprising sharpness really IMO. So I would say if some one has a focusing problem, to try and compare it to another FZ10. There may well be a problem with some.

Norm makes an excellent point in lighting. Digital cameras with the smaller lenses (physically not focally) and the ccd's need and love light, more so than film, it needs to be spot on, or noise and softness becomes very apparent.

Anyway, interesting threads and hope people get these things checked out to make sure its not a camera problem,

Danny.

PS: BTW, nice shots Norm
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:38 AM   #9

Danny, excellent post and thanks for the input. I especially appreciate your last comments on the "loves light" issue. I agree with you fully. The FZ10's tiny sensor cannot begin to compete, noise-wise, with the DSLRs. I can tell that simply by looking at the camera size, the sensor is smaller and noise will be greater. However, as you indicate, when light is given to the FZ10 it swallows it like an athelete and then performs. As well, without light, because it can get to where the picture needs to be taken, one can get a great "art" photo or "impressionist" photo even without enough light.

Thanks for one of the most informative and wonderful posts I've heard in days!
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:39 AM   #10

Crispy indeed....When the FZ10 first came out last November, shorter days and weather kept folks inside and the resulting pics caused them to wonder about the camera's low-light capabilities and noise. Now that the Fluzi is going outside, it's in its element and the "wow" factor shows. Once again I cannot resist posting a thread to Danny (aka nzmacro)'s new pics, hope you don't mind, Danny ---

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8536747

Now, the FZ10 is my first 'high-end" camera so my impressions may be suspect, but even Danny is amazed at the sharpness of the lens, not to mention the magic he conjures up by sticking another lens on, or even a simple "el-cheapo magnifying glass". After reading posts both here and in dpreview it seems like the FZ10 varies in quality from camera to camera. I'm perfectly happy with the quality of the shots taken on mine but perhaps it's because I've never had a higher-end camera to compare it to. Ignorance may indeed truly be bliss... Here are a few examples, but you must remember they've been compressed and also resized so the original images are even sharper...

http://trailhiker.smugmug.com/photos/3570089-M.jpg

http://trailhiker.smugmug.com/photos/3110153-M.jpg

The real test for me is how well these pics print out. Well, I have a Canon s9000 and I have printed these photos up to 13 x 19 using Qimage and the result has been nothing short of phenomenal. Again, I have only had Olympus D490Z pics printed on an Epson 780 to compare it to, but my present setup makes me one happy camper and for me, that's all I need. Oh, BTW, if you want a GREAT, free noise removal program, here it is ---

http://helicon.com.ua/pages/index.php?id=nfdownload

Run your FZ10 pics through this and you'll be amazed at what it does. So I'm off on a bike ride with my Fluzi, eager to test the versatility of this camera, and happy with the results . The only possible frustration is through user stupidity...

Best Wishes,

Steve
sdwsp is offline   Reply With Quote