Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:25 PM   #1

Default Why "jpg" with every "mov" file on FZ10

Every time I record a "mov" file it also writes a 320x200 "jpg
file to the stick. It's kind of annoying and I couldn't find anything in the manual about it. Can this be turned off?
Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2004, 9:23 AM   #2

I believe this is done to help identify the movie when viewed with a browser on the computer. All of my cameras include a thumbnail with the movie and there is no way to trun it off on any of them.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 9:14 AM   #3

I have recently started experimenting with the motion feature on my FZ10 too and I am seeing those same JPEGs when I go to transfer my movie from the camera to my computer. My problem is how do I download the movie file and where is it? I am able to play it back on the camera but when I go to do the download all I am seeing are those JPEGs. ...and true there is not much in the manual about this so I came to this forum and surprised to see a smiliar question. Are you able to download the file? I was expecting to see a MPEG.

Thanks!
Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:16 AM   #4

You won't get an MPEG file -- you'll get a MOV file (QuickTime Movie format). I'm not sure how the Panasonic software works for downloading the movies because I don't use it. I do use the FZ1 movie fucntion all the time, but when I connect my camera to my PC via the USB cable, a window opens showing the card contents. I then grab all the pictures, movies, audio files, etc., and move them to a temporary folder on my hard drive. I think sort the pictures according to subject in my own little folder system, and routinely backup the folder structure to CDs.

To get to the MOV files, you may need to do it the same way, unless someone can tell you how to do it with the Panasonic connection software. Personally, I found the included software to be very cumbersome and difficult to determine where the pictures were being stored. It was also too easy to overwrite the original pictures when I was rotating them, etc., via the viewer sofware. The Windows Explorer included with XP does a good enough (if not even better) job for me.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:33 AM   #5

I agree with you completely in the way you do it because I do it that same way. I use my XP (windows explorer) to connect to my camera (USB) just like it's an external drive and then I do the drag and drop into my own folder system where I have it all organized. I then do backups to an alternate drive from there. Looks like we are downloading the same way but the only difference is that I only see the JPEG files representing the frames of my Mov file but there is no Mov file that shows up in explorer for me to download. I see all of the stills but nothing else. I check all the files sizes too and nothing there that indicate a larger file that would be my mov.

I know it must be something simple I'm not doing right because it is on the SDcard ...it plays back on my camera. I'll keep doing trial and error and figure it out.

This is the best camera I have ever owned and it's features exceed what I was expecting. I am just now left the (P) mode and am starting to tinker with the manual settings. Nice to know that I can capture fast action sports photos and not have the blurr. I adjusted the shutter speed and that helped a lot. Now I want to expore this area more and see how much better I can capture them with making adjustments in this area.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:44 PM   #6

You must have the file list filtered to only show JPEGs or something. I know that if XP thinks that your media card, CD, DVD, (or whatever you plug in or otherwise insert into an XP machine) is just for pictures, then it will sometimes only show files with standard picture/graphics extensions (JPG, BMP, GIF, etc.). I have several CD-Rs that I have a mix of backups on them (music files, movies, and pictures), and XP seems to think that whatever file it comes across first (or maybe it's what file type has the most files on the disc?) is what this disc is full of. I wish I could figure out how to shut off this "media diagnosis" -- it's annoying!

One other thing -- do you see file extensions for your files (.JPG, .MOV, etc.)? That could be your problem. The numbering scheme will look the same for MOV files and JPG files, so maybe you're seeing the MOV files, but can't tell because the extensions aren't showing? Just a theorizing here....
Old Apr 30, 2004, 8:58 AM   #7

EffZeeOne - those were very good suggestions and I was hoping that was the case but I do have my settings in explorer to view extensions (It has always been set to view those) plus I see the file sizes (view details) and I know what a typical size should be for the jpegs. Two nights ago I took six still photos and about 10secs of a movie. The movie played back on my camera so I know I captured it. I connected to my PC and copied it all to my hard drive straight from my camera card. The six photos were there as JPEGS and there were two others... (jpegs too) but they were very small 29K and judging by the thumbnail view looked like the first frame and last frame from the movie. I am going to take another movie some time later today and see if I can't figure this out.

Thanks for all the help and if I do get the answer I will pass it along (if it doesn't embarass me) ha
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:13 AM   #8

Well, I can definitely confirm your sanity that the MOV files should be in the same folder on the SD card as all the JPEG pictures (normal sized and MOV preview ones). I know that if you use the voice recording feature of the camera that it will store that audio file in another folder on the SD card, but the MOV files shouldn't do that.

Very strange. It will be interesting to find out what the problem is.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:30 AM   #9

I posed this same delima I am having in another forum and someone there mentioned Macintosh. Fortunality I have both PC and Mac so tonight or this weekend I am going to shoot another movie (I cleared my card) and do some testing on both machines. I wonder if my Mac will reveal something.

On a different subject I have not had my camera long but long enough that I have been able to take it to two big events in my town. One was an airshow and the other a parade. I have a 256mb card and noticed my battery will give out before I can fill my card up. My battery last a long while but it seems in both cases I couldn't fill up my card without the battery going out first. Of course that tells me I am glad I bought the bigger card but now I know I probably should purchase another battery as backup. Yesterday I shot 216 pics at 1600x1200 using the smaller eye viewfinder and used the burst mode once before my battery went dead.