Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:47 AM   #1

Default LCD display pictures quality

....I am new to Digital camera world......

Visited waterfalls in UK and taken waterfalls photos.When I reviewed the taken photos through LCD,most of photos are grain(in the sence poor quaility and lot of dots). But when I downloaded the pictures on computer all photos came excellent.

1. Why the photos displaying on LCD monitor are grain(lot of dots and poor quality).

If this is the case we might not be knowing which pictures recorded are good..

Please post some views on this..

THANKS IN ADVANCE....
eeshabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2004, 9:20 PM   #2

Default Re: LCD display pictures quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeshabr
1. Why the photos displaying on LCD monitor are grain(lot of dots and poor quality).

If this is the case we might not be knowing which pictures recorded are good..
I also find it nearly impossible to tell a good photo from a bad photo using the LCD monitor. Since I'm new to digital cameras, I don't know if any camera has a good LCD monitor (though the one on the Kodak DX6490 looked good in the camera store).

I've found that the LCD isn't very useful even when you zoom in on a detail that you want to be in focus. Yesterday I took my camera back to the store so I could try it on some tripods. The shots I took in the store all looked terrible on the LCD. I bought a nice light tripod anyway. When I got back home, the tripod shots were the sharpest I've ever taken. I was stunned to see a reflection of my own face in a mirrored display cabinet that was at least 10m away at the back of the store.

There are many good points for this camera, and a few bad ones. The difficulties I have with the LCD count in the "bad" category for me.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:23 AM   #3

The FZ10 actually has a pretty good LCD display. It's very difficult to judge the quality of a picture on a 2 inch display. I also suspect that you are not looking at the full image, but rather a sampled-down image in order to hasten viewing.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 2:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito
The FZ10 actually has a pretty good LCD display.
Users of other cameras must be in a world of pain!

Quote:
It's very difficult to judge the quality of a picture on a 2 inch display.
Given we agree on this, is there any solution short of carrying a laptop with you? Is there a more portable display device that is not also as expensive as a laptop?

Quote:
I also suspect that you are not looking at the full image, but rather a sampled-down image in order to hasten viewing.
You might be on to something here. By my calculations, 4x playback zoom is not quite enough to get to a 1:1 pixel ratio (ie 100% scale), and 8x zoom is too much. So, if there's no 1:1 viewing mode, it's hard to see if the photo is sharp, since everything is always interpolated.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 3:57 AM   #5

Default Re: LCD display pictures quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeshabr
If this is the case we might not be knowing which pictures recorded are good
If you carry a small hand magnifier with you (see http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...589&highlight=, you can see the dots on the LCD screen. This will allow you to tell whether the unsharpness you perceive is definitely due to the LCD screen resolution, or definitely due to misfocusing, or definitely "don't know, take it again if possible and view it properly later".
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote