Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 2, 2004, 10:57 AM   #1

I've received the teleconverter and a fewtest shots are now available here; more can be found at the link below:

http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/extender.htm

Examplesfrom Sports

Examples of Wildlife

Go to the link at top for more, including some shots of the converter on camera (example below)

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2004, 3:40 PM   #2

Nice shots Norm. Some of your duck shots are very sharp ! Thanks for posting.

Are you now convinced that the added expense for a panasonic branded teleconverter was worth it ? I personally am glad I went with the TCON 17, as I don't see that much difference between the two in terms of final results (pictures).. Is the plastic support part of the package?

Cheers
Jacques321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 11:33 PM   #3

Hi Jacques, I'm very pleased with the converter because of what I consider to be it's great ability to saturate color and retain a dynamic contrast. The color is to me absolutely wonderful and well worth the extra cash. Other converter shots I've seen seem to be drab on color and very flat. This Panasonic has the 2.8 across the board which I'm sure has something to do with the great color retention. Some of the colors I get with this converter I like even more than with "no" converter. For instance, the glowing "gold" colors surrounding the flying geese on the above link. I didn't touch the color on any of my shotsand it remains "as is" when it came into the computer.

The tripod collar does come with the converter and it's actually very strong and made of some sort of metal rather than plastic.

Sharpness is more than acceptable to me right up to the 18x optical zoom but it tends to get a bit softer than I personally like in the digital zoom range. However, I seem to be able to get some nice shots even at that range hand-held. At that range things like the slightest movement, breathing wrong, blinking, or other can cause havoc, as I'm sure you know.

I could still return it and can for 25 more days, no questions asked. However, I cannot see myself makingthat move. It's just too powerful, colorfuland handy --a toolthat I can carry everywhere and anywhere with everything I need in a small Lowepro Nova2 bag with monopod strapped to it and a folding fishingchair around my shoulder. It makes photo taking a pleasure and I find myselfgetting up earlierwith this extender now a reality.

Old May 3, 2004, 4:18 AM   #4

Hello Norm, thanks for posting the results from your new Panasonic teleconverter, I have been waiting to see results from this converter.

They are impressive, very punchy images and I particularly like the skin tones, I did visit your website to see the other images that you have posted. Some of the colours in the plummage of the birds is beautiful.

You could be in danger of damaging my bank balance posting images like these!

If you get any spare time any chance of posting an image taken with the standard lens at maximum zoom plus any other converteryou have at the same zoom range as the images taken with your latest Panasonic teleconverter. Basically I am just interested in how the individual lenses comparein relation to colour tonal balance.

After seeing the substantial collar that is fitted to the Panasonic teleconverter and the quality available with this lens I can now understand why it is priced above other teleconverters.

With the teleconverter that I have (Sony VCL-HGD1758) my main problem is finding a lens support that I can use that will allow me to use either a monopod or tripod with the lens.

I look forward to seeing more of your images taken with the Panasonic teleconverter.

Harryo

Harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 7:55 AM   #5

Some darn fine shots there Norm those colors Wow !..
what a beast that is darn heavy i bet..
i would like to see some TC comparisons if poss.. i had TL55 in mind soon.. and is that PD62 on there ?

"a bit softer than I personally like in the digital zoom range."
can you demonstrate this plz ?
and
Actual Distance shots should this be with and without
and 4 shots..2 of each ?

but Outstanding thnx..
£327-91 @ Nomatica
J.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 8:25 AM   #6

I notice from your message that you mention that the Panasonic DMW-LTZ10 teleconverter is £300 here in the UK, do you know of any UK dealers who have it at this price?

Have done a search on Google, Yahoo UK and AltaVista and all they show is Nomatica who have a shipping price of £327-91, not sure if they have any in stock though.

Harryo

Old May 3, 2004, 12:51 PM   #7

Norm: Where's the best source for this lens in the US?

....nice shots mate!

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 2:47 PM   #8

Great shots. Thanks's for posting Norm.
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 11:39 PM   #9

Hi Harryo, your comments on the plummage and skin tonesare a few of the things that impressed me as well, all related of course to the way this converter seems to draw in color. Of course everyone wants "really" sharp images, including myself, and if the environment and situation is right, and the steadiness, settings, and equipment are all in order, then it seems to perform, at full optical, almost as good as the camera without add-on (I'm sure that this has something to do with the F2.8 aperture across the focal length).

You requested some examples of maximum zoom but don't indicate whether you mean "digital" or "optical". If you want an example of optical, then you can see one at this string, the bottom shot of the geese taking off: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

I rarely post full digital because they are slightly too"soft" for my taste most of the time, but not all the time. However, here is a full out 54xzoom example of a difficult bird (black in color) to get detail on. The shot was also taken near sundown, low light, which is an added difficulty. I had to over-expose this shot just to get some detail in the black feathers. However, with the 2.8 I actually got a few feathers from this one at ISO 50 (because I rarely go above that with this camera). I wouldn't have posted this shot other than to demonstrate what I consider to be slightly"soft" and, I might add, "over" exposed but for a purpose:

Regarding other converters and color and tonal balance I can only suggest that you have a lookat other posts of other converters as Ipersonally have only this one and the G5 1.7xadd-on which seems to work okay but I don't use it very much becauseif I plan to do any long range shooting I pick up the FZ10. I've looked at some examplesand I'm quite happy that I spent a few more dollarsif only for the color saturation.

The only complaint I have with the tripod collar is that you need to loosen it a bit toopen the hatch for a battery or card change, but that's very minor to me and I don't mind. I can do it in a few seconds now.

I also use a monopod andit's extremely comfortable and balanced. And with the collar it'sbound steady and tight like a machine gun on a tank.

I hope the above photo is helpful to both yourself and Jayde, who mentioned that he'd like to see an example of what I mean by "soft" in the digitalzoom range.

Wetstuff, sorry, I can't help you out on that.

Trdi and Jayde, thanks for checking the string out and I appreciate your input.

I'd like to share one more humorous photo. I took this one a few days ago and not until downloading to computer did I realize that something was stealing a free ride from this bird:

The free rider

The transport

Teleconverter Lens specs: weight 22.5 oz; diameter: 3.62 inches; total length: 5.24 inches (comes with: lens cap, tripod adapter, storage bag). As well, the converter is constructed from the same metal material that your FZ10 lens barrel is made from. The entire structure is extremely durable.

Old May 4, 2004, 11:07 AM   #10

Hello Normcar, thanks for the additional information and pictures.

I have checked out some of the other postings on here showing images taken with various converters but the Panasonic one appears to be 'top dog' at the moment for the FZ10.

Either that or it is down purely to your expertise with the FZ10!

At the moment I am looking for a quality lens/tripod collar similar to the one that is fitted to the Panasonic for my Sony VCL-HGD1750.

I have sent Sony an email asking if they do anything to fit the lens but I am awaiting a response.

Harryo