Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 5, 2004, 3:33 AM   #1

I have just received a Bean bag camera support for use withmy FZ10/Sony HGD1750 lens combination. They are supplied less the filling.

Anyone know what sort of fillings are used with these Bean bags, I have been recommended to use Soya beans, any other recommendations from users of Bean bags would be appreciated.

Harryo
Harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2004, 10:39 AM   #2

Seems like there are a variety of suggestions on the web including rice, dried corn, beans, nuts (non greasy ones I imagine), Styrofoam beads or plastic packing peanuts. Things like nuts are for a tripod you plan to eat at the end of the day.

I guess the stuffing weight you want would depend on howand where you plan to use the bag and whether it needs to have enough weight to hold itself somewhere.

Maybe go to the grocery stores and feel some of the suggested packing items - heck you could even go in with your camera on your neck and when nobody's looking try out the options in their clear plastic bags.

I have wondered about "recycling" some of those beanie babies I overbought before the beanie market crash.

Carolyn
CarolynS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 1:22 PM   #3

CarolynS wrote:
Quote:
Maybe go to the grocery stores and feel some of the suggested packing items - heck you could even go in with your camera on your neck and when nobody's looking try out the options in their clear plastic bags.

Carolyn
Hello Carolyn,

Thanks for some of the suggestions, I tried a search on a UK search engine without any really good results.

I like your idea of visiting the grocery store but will leave the camera at home otherwise I will get too many odd looks.

Will check out the rice and soya beans!

Harryo

Old May 6, 2004, 12:35 PM   #4

The empty bag idea is for those that travel (fly) and don't want the extra weight. Sand works good if it in your shooting location. Also birdseed can be used if your taking bird photo's. Don't put anything in it that wont be allowed across a border (often agricultural products). Just pick something at the local markets when you arrive.

John
jtwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 1:45 PM   #5

Thanks for that information John.

It certainly makes sense to havean empty bean bag when travelling which means less weight, something that I had not even considered.

I know that in the past when we have travelled to mainland Europe that we were not allowed to bring back certain agricultural products.

Bird seed is certainly easy to obtain from the various pet shops in our locality so will consider that as a filling in addition to the soya beansor rice.

Harryo

Old May 15, 2004, 1:10 AM   #6

Rice is probably your best solution because:

1. It's probably the cheapest
2. If you're ever lost in the wilderness, you can eat it.
3. It doubles as an excellent moisture absorber, especially the "instant" variety

Don't worry about spills and the old caution of rice killing birds if they injest it -- that's purely an urban myth and no fact to it at all. Bird seed isn't a bad idea, but I've yet to buy a bag of bird seed that didn't end up having little bugs hatch in it eventually. Bird seed is also typically dusty (unlike rice), and you probably wouldn't want something dusty in yourgadget bag.

I made my own little pillow caseout of scrap material, and then I put rice in a ziplock baggie and put the pillow case over it. I also have a velour-like draw string bag that came with...something...(can't remember what) and I will also use it a as pillow case and even an extra protection type thing for my camera (when the bag of rice isn't in it).

----

Chris
FZ1Club.com
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 5:26 AM   #7

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion regarding using rice.

I paid a visit to a local supermarket the other day and bought some packets of 'long eared rice' and used this for filling the bean bag.

It works very well although there is certainly some weight in the bag.

Tried it out yesterday and it offers a good support for the camera.

Harryo