Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 6, 2004, 1:59 AM   #1

Why is that the aperture priority mode in FZ10 has longer time lag (after pressing half shutter to full shutter) compare to other mode (either shutter speed mode, programmed mode or manual mode).

Sorry for my English, I try my best to describe what I mean.
When in aperture priority mode, after pressing half shutter (so the camera knows what speed to use), then I go to full press the shutter, the camera will dim the lcd for a while. At that time I heard something from it. Looks like the movement of the iris (the aperture blade) is the cause (rrtttttt.....something like that).
The lag time vary as I change the aperture (f number) but
its getting longer when I use external flash.
It doesn't happen when I use other mode, even if I use the same aperture and speed setting in manual mode.
Can you tell me what's the cause of that because I'm sure it's happen not just to my camera (I have a friend with FZ10 that confirm the same thing).

Second question :
Does the camera has someway to communicate with the external flash about the aperture/shutter speed to use?
And if it is, Is it only possible with Panasonic external flash?

Because eventhough I already set the external flash to manual, the camera will always set shutter to 1/60 and aperture to 2.8 in programmed mode. In aperture priority mode, the camera will always set 1/60 for the shutter. And in shutter priority, the camera will always use 2.8 for the aperture. It's weird since the manual book says that the camera will use the shutter speed up to 1/250 sec when using external flash.

Thank you for your time to answer those questions
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2004, 9:08 AM   #2

jonathan wrote:
Quote:
Why is that the aperture priority mode in FZ10 has longer time lag (after pressing half shutter to full shutter) compare to other mode (either shutter speed mode, programmed mode or manual mode).

Second question :
Does the camera has someway to communicate with the external flash about the aperture/shutter speed to use?
And if it is, Is it only possible with Panasonic external flash?

Thank you for your time to answer those questions
In aperture priority mode, you are hearing and experiencing the time to stop down the lens - yes there is a mechanical components to the design - it's not 100% electronic.

The FZ10 doesn't support a dedicated flash where it truly communicates with the strobe. Our DMC-LC1 does support a dedicated flash. One easy way to compare is to look at the hot shoe. You'll see that the LC1 has several additional contacts over which the additional data is carried. The default strobe sync speed is 1/6oth

Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 8:49 PM   #3

Bob, thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your time for writing it. But for me it raised more questions :

Quote:
[b]
In aperture priority mode, you are hearing and experiencing the time to stop down the lens - yes there is a mechanical components to the design - it's not 100% electronic.
So the conclusion is : The aperture priority mode use mechanical blade for the shutter while other mode (manual, shutter speed priority and programmed mode) use only electronic shutter. That reason makes aperture priority has longer shutter lag compare to other mode. CMIIW, but I can't see the reason why Panasonic make the difference with the aperture priority mode.

Quote:
The FZ10 doesn't support a dedicated flash where it truly communicates with the strobe. Our DMC-LC1 does support a dedicated flash. One easy way to compare is to look at the hot shoe. You'll see that the LC1 has several additional contacts over which the additional data is carried. The default strobe sync speed is 1/6oth
Yes, I know that the hot shoe is not a dedicated one. But then why that the manual state :

"When attaching the external flash, the shutter speed becomes 1/60th to 1/250th in normal mode, 1 to 1/250th in Nigth portrait mode"
(See on column 2 page 83 of the operating instruction book)

"1/60th to 1/250th" for me it means that the camera will select the apropriate shutter between that range. Is it the mistake of panasonic team that compose the book ?

For other FZ10 user who already use the panasonic flash DMW-FL28, can you give any comment?

Old May 12, 2004, 1:29 PM   #4

While the FZ10 does not have TTL flash capability, it is aware when an external flash is attached to the camera and the firmware makes the necessary adjustments.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 7:32 AM   #5

Pardon the brief reply, but I'm on the road.

The camera has the capability of changing the shutter speed depending on several settings you make. It "detects" the external flash, but isn't maintaining any ongoing data exchange. The statement in the manual is stating the range of adjustment the camera is capable of.

As far as the difference in procesing time, any noted difference isn't indicating a problem - it's the inherant operating characteristics of the camera. Honestly, we aren't included in the development stages so I can't explain the flow charthow each function works to justify every operational aspect of the camera - that's pointless. If it were malfunctioning, that's a different story.

Maybe I'm missing something so allow me to ask again... Is there a problem that I'm not realizing?
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 8:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Pardon the brief reply, but I'm on the road.

The camera has the capability of changing the shutter speed depending on several settings you make. It "detects" the external flash, but isn't maintaining any ongoing data exchange. The statement in the manual is stating the range of adjustment the camera is capable of.
I don't think so, it's not the limit for the range of shutter speed. I can set the shutter to 1/1000 even to 1/2000 with no problem. So I still have no clue what the "1/60th to 1/250th" means for.

Quote:
Maybe I'm missing something so allow me to ask again... Is there a problem that I'm not realizing?
Yes, the shutter lag becomes longer in aperture priority mode(specially with external flash), the same problem doesn't appear in manual mode (but then in manual mode I have problem with dark LCD).

Thanks for your time to answer Bob.