Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 20, 2004, 10:28 AM   #11

RESOLVED: shipped my FZ10 on monday Panasonic had it tuesday and i have it my desk as a type this, the lense was replaced, the camera software upgraded, also the camera was cleaned, over all i would like to thank BOB, for being so responsive and very cooperative with me, as since i posted the first message hae has been in constant contact with me via email, this has to be the best customer service i have ever recieved, once again THANK YOU BOB, and thank you Panasonic for your speedy service, brian (note ,if this sounds like a shameless plug for panasonic IT IS!!!)
krazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 2:51 PM   #12

Thanks for the kind words, but I can't take credit for the quality of service he received. In general, our digital service facility in IL has a very fast turn-around time. Of course, sometimes parts need to be ordered and there may be a delay of 2-3 days.

Several people PM'd me asking about "sotware update" mentioned in Krazy's last post. We discovered two minor issues related to how certain EXIF data was displayed. The data was correct, just formatted incorrectly. The update corrects what is essentially a "typo". The change occurred as a running change. Since no performance or specification change occurs, no general update was issued.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 6:45 PM   #13

It's good to hear that Panasonic is customer oriented and on top of there product support. Obviously I need to send my FZ10 in as well. It definitely has dust in between / behind the lens. But departing with my trusty friend may be difficult especially knowing I'll need it. Being a poor soul, I've been offered an opportunity that only comes once in a lifetime. I'm slated for a trip to Sweden in mid/late June. I could notdare leave home without my FZ10.
rbbnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:21 PM   #14

I've had my FZ10 for just under three months and discovered a minimum of seven specs of dust on different internal lenses last week.

I may not be the best of photographers, but having been in the jewelry business for several years, I'm pretty good at spotting flaws and inclusions on clear objects and I didn't notice these when I got the camera. I figure that either dust is getting in or resettling from using a holster type camera case.

Along with this, I work with a professional photographer, who used to work at a camera shop and he gave a good looking over when I first got it.

I don't think two sets of eyes could have missed this.

If dust is getting in, I'm really concerned about how quickly it is working its way into multiple levels of the lense.
SkyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:37 PM   #15

Well I'm getting my LZ10 on Wednesday. If there's a problem, I'll contact you Panasonic Bob and try to send it in to get it fixed. I'd be happy to play guinea pig, because I don't necessarily need the camera, especially if it's a really quick turn-around time. Or, if it happens later, I'll let you know.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:42 PM   #16

Many zoom lenses are subject to dust. I have a Canon 100-400mm lens that costs $1600US (that I just had cleaned at my expense) that is know to collect dust on the inside of the glass. Only a sealed lens is safe from collecting dust.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:25 PM   #17

I wanted to take a moment to sincerely thank Panasonic Bob for excellent assistance and service.

Panasonic, give this man a raise. He is one heck of a PR deptartment.
SkyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:04 PM   #18

Hi,
I bought my FZ10 about 3 months ago and have also been having a few issues with "things" in my lens. I use the term "things" as not only did I have dust inside the lens but also a little dust mite! You could easily see it crawling along the inside of the lens. Incase you thing I was on mind altering drugs at the time (I wouldn't blame you if you thought I was) I managed to take some photos of it. The quality is pretty poor as I used my old Panasonic F7 but you can definitely see it.
The bug has moved out (or died) now and I haven't seen it for a few weeks. At the same time I also had a problem with condensation on the inside of the lens.
Any photos I take now are ok but im sure a bug in the lens cant be good for it. What should I do Panasonic Bob?:shock:
Attached Images

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:04 PM   #19

I have an FZ20. I read these posts, and want to prevent getting dust in my lense. I bought a 72mm Quantaray UV Haze Filter. It fits the existing adapter that comes with the camera.

Will this help protect my lense from dust?

Will it degrade the picture quality in any way?

Is there a lense cap I can get to protect the filter?

Thanks in advance...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 8:14 PM   #20

Found 72mm snap in lense cap $3.79, and stick on lense cap leash $1.99.

With the $24.99 I paid for the UV Haze filter, I now have full protection for this great lense for less than $33.00.

Dont have to worry about dust getting in the lense, scratches, damage from bumping the extended lense, and it has UV Filtering.

And... If I scratch the filter, it's a lot cheaper than scratching the lense.

THIS IS GREAT!!!

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote