Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 11, 2004, 7:25 AM   #1

Hello everybody.

I have my first camera ever a FZ10 and I´m very happy with its capacities.

I have read may complaints about lack of sharpness and I want some software to make up the pics to improve them.

Which software do you use, links any free?

Another questions:

Where can I buy Panasonic teleconverter?

I´d like a rigid bag like OTTER or Pelican to transport the FZ10 with Panasonic teleconverted on, so which model should be ok ?

I expect to learn alot from this forum.

Enjoy
faca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2004, 3:14 PM   #2

faca wrote:
Quote:
Hello everybody.

I have my first camera ever a FZ10 and I´m very happy with its capacities.

I have read may complaints about lack of sharpness and I want some software to make up the pics to improve them.

Which software do you use, links any free?
Quote:
If this is your first camera, you probably won't notice any softness in the pictures. There however several other adjustments that you'll probably want to make from time to time such as color correction or cropping. This is probably the best free image software you'll find. http://www.gimp.org/

Another questions:

Where can I buy Panasonic teleconverter?
Quote:
You'll probably have to get it directly from Panasonic. Call their toll-free number to inquire.

I´d like a rigid bag like OTTER or Pelican to transport the FZ10 with Panasonic teleconverted on, so which model should be ok ?
Quote:
That's one you'll probably have to determine for yourself because it really depends on how much equipment you'll want to carry with you.

I expect to learn alot from this forum.

Enjoy
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 8:42 AM   #3

At the risk of starting a heated debate, I'd like to offer a few comments. Over the past few weeks I've contacted a few people who have been vocalizing concerns over photos they've taken that weren't sharp. I've received samples of those photos and after a quick review of the EXIF data I found several contributing factors. These included:
  1. Shooting in "auto" in low light w/ no flash. The shutter speed was 1/20-1/30 sec. Hand held, that's difficult for many people.[/*]
  2. Another was caused by using ISO 400, shooting into bright sunlight[/*]
  3. Aperture priority set to F8, at ISO 50. This caused the shutter speed to bottom out.
[/*]
What I am seeing is soft photos due to motion blur. In each case, after the setting were corrected, the cameras worked just fine. Say, is anyone here in New Jersey? I'd really like to show someone from the group some prints I've taken.

Thanks guys - your comments are very much appreciated!
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 11:28 AM   #4

Panasonic wrote:
Quote:
At the risk of starting a heated debate, I'd like to offer a few comments. Over the past few weeks I've contacted a few people who have been vocalizing concerns over photos they've taken that weren't sharp. I've received samples of those photos and after a quick review of the EXIF data I found several contributing factors. These included:
  1. Shooting in "auto" in low light w/ no flash. The shutter speed was 1/20-1/30 sec. Hand held, that's difficult for many people. [/*]
  2. Another was caused by using ISO 400, shooting into bright sunlight [/*]
  3. Aperture priority set to F8, at ISO 50. This caused the shutter speed to bottom out.[/*]
What I am seeing is soft photos due to motion blur. In each case, after the setting were corrected, the cameras worked just fine. Say, is anyone here in New Jersey? I'd really like to show someone from the group some prints I've taken.

Thanks guys - your comments are very much appreciated!
I think it would be exceptionally helpful if you were to provide us a link to the referenced "samples of those photos." I am curious to see how "soft" those images were (and thus compare my experience with them). This would have MUCH more use than just being limited to folks happening to live close to you in New Jersey.
LuvFZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 12:06 PM   #5

I agree with LUMIX. I have 4 good quality digital cameras and the FZ10 definitely doesn't suffer from softness. Most digital photos can use a little sharpening, but the FZ10 no more than others and less than many. Stabilization is great but it isn't magic – you still have to pay attention to the shutter speed.

I never cluttered my computer with the software that came with the camera, but I assume PhotoImpression has a sharpening algorithm.

I personally hate carrying a camera and hate toting a bag even more. I found a nice fanny pack at my local flea market and padded it out with old mouse pads cut to fit. The FZ10 fits nicely and I don't have to keep track of a bag. Not sure it would work with a teleconverter though.

There is a thread with samples from a Panasonic converter on the board – you might ask the poster where he got his. You should fill out your profile.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 7:09 AM   #6

LuvFZ10 wrote:
Quote:
I think it would be exceptionally helpful if you were to provide us a link to the referenced "samples of those photos."* I am curious to see how "soft" those images were (and thus compare my experience with them).* This would have MUCH more use than just being limited to folks happening to live close to you in New Jersey.
Yes! When I first got my FZ10 I was stunned by the clarity. Now that I've read a bunch of negative comments, I'm seeing fuzzy stuff in every photo. Please help us get a balanced view of our FZ10s by posting some of these fuzzy shots, and hopefully some similar but clear shots too. Straight from the camera, of course!

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I never cluttered my computer with the software that came with the camera, but I assume PhotoImpression has a sharpening algorithm.
You're not missing anything. I loaded them on my iBook and they don't even run, complaining of missing Twain drivers. The most useful looking program (the one you get a printed manual for) isn't even available for the mac. Bah!

The iPhoto program that comes with the iBook works fine though, and so does Gimp (so much goodness for no cost, and fully legal).

Quote:
... padded it out with old mouse pads cut to fit. The FZ10 fits nicely...
Old mouse pads! That's a great idea! I've got a box of those suckers somewhere round here...
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote