Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 14, 2004, 5:15 PM   #1

Panasonic Bob! Do Yourather advise meto expect to successorof Lumix FZ10whether to waitfor a new firmware to FZ10?

:arrow:If more probable will beappearance ofsuccessor of FZ10whencanappear on market?

I am going to buy FZ10, but whenI read the poll,I think Panasonic Company is planning to produce successor of Lumix FZ10 rather to make a new firmware.

Should I wait for successor or for new firmware??
Goly_Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2004, 11:26 PM   #2

I'll bet that he won't tell you what he thinks personally.:P

Nor would Pana leak such info through Bob before the time.
Famo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 3:53 AM   #3

Famo! And what You think personally? Should I wait for successor of FZ10?
Goly_Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 3:59 PM   #4

I supect the successor to FZ10 is at least a year away in the US and mabe more in the UK & it's unlikey tha Panasonic will release a firmware update. If you like the FZ10 (delighted with mine) I'd go ahead and buy it.:-)

------------

adder
jjmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 5:49 PM   #5

You never know with Panasonic -- they released the FZ1, FZ2, and FZ10 all within about a 9-month period. They also released a Japan-only firmware upgrade for the FZ1 sometime during the same time period, but as most know that didn't get marketed anywhere else but Japan.

Basically, the FZ11, FZ3, or FZ20 could come out in a week or in two years or it may not come to your country of residence at all. The FZ2 still isn't in the USA to the best of my knowledge, although it finally hit North America via Canada a few months ago after it was marketed just about everywhere else in the world and even listed as discontinued in some countries. You just never know.

However, if you spend your life waiting for the next, most improved digicam to come out, you'll never buy one. It's a continuous process that you'll never get the jump on.

---

Chris
FZ1Club.com
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 7:10 AM   #6

I basically agree with what EffZeeOne said. If you can wait for the next model then by all means wait.We can expect Pana to improve the performance of the next one if it wants to stay inthe DC game. However, there is no perfect camera, digital or otherwise, and there will never be a perfect camera. Each model will have its own features and attractions that are same or better than the competition. I believe technology will continue to advance rapidly in this front as long as there is money to be made and the large companies try to compete with their rivals. What is important is what you need now rather than what you need a few years down the road because whichever digital equipment you buy now is likely to be outdated within a year or two. Look at PCs sold two years ago. You wouldm't want such an oldmachine now, I'm sure.

I personally consider the FZ10 worth buying because of its reasonable price, large zoom, OIS, marco abilityand Leica lens. The package that it offers meets my presentaspirations for a moderately priced prosumer digital toy. So I bought it as a fun 4MP camera. Others may think differently and I have no intention to persuade anybody to think as I do.
Famo is offline   Reply With Quote