Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 15, 2004, 1:09 AM   #1

This camera can do wonders in many areas, but the only area where I personally believe it falls definitely short is on ISO capacity. However, I think this applies to every non-DSLR camera that I've personally used. If Panasonic could create an FZ10 with good ISO up to 800, I'll probably beone of the first in line to buyit.

I only post this after continued attempts to get shots close to sundown when the light is low and colors are beautiful. I'm always forced to boost the ISO in these situations and anything beyond 100 is simply too grainy IMO, and 100 is even stretching the boundaries. However, if I can get close enough a flash works.

This isn't really a complaint because the camera is so great in other areas and it would be unreasonable to expect it to perform in all areas. Iam able to get quite acceptable shots at ISO 50 so that's where I'll remain for now. I'll simply practice, use a flash, or shut down when the light gets low.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2004, 12:02 PM   #2

So far, I agree. I've had mine only a few days, and it is my first digicam experience, but I did have an experienced friend come over. He loves his Nikon 5700, but was generally impressed with the FZ10.

What put him, though, was that all indoor shots (or out on the patio), without a flash, were using a slow shutter speed of 1/4, because the ISO wasn't going higher than 100 - we got a lot of blurry shots at 1/4. When we forced the ISO higher, we got too much noise. With his 5700, he got some great non-flash shots.

My only other complaint so far (and it may be just my particular camera) is that colors are too "vibrant" or bright (not sure of the term). Deep reds are coming out as more orange or glowing.

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 3:34 PM   #3

Agreed, not one none DSLR has a good ISO400 let alone 800, some are barely usable at 200.

The only problem is to due this they would have to go toa bigger sensor, which means a bigger, heaver lens & probably a bigger body. Bigger & heaver wouldn't bother me, but the cost might be excesive. If they could due it for an MSRP of say $800 (and got rid of the EVF "feature") they might have something

-------------

adder
jjmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 6:31 PM   #4

yes.. higher unnoised ISO,
that ora1.2 lens (through the 12xzoom), damn tecnology.
Frederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 12:04 AM   #5

However, the FZ10 at 50 ISO takes magnificent shots, and no camera will be able to beat the reach without one paying thousands. Please go here to have a look at a few samples.
Old May 18, 2004, 3:30 AM   #6

Wow! Were those at ISO 50? What other settings?

Thanks for sharing - beautiful photos!

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 2:16 PM   #7

Thanks cageyman, if I can recall correctly the shutter was around 1/400 and aperture about 3.7 to 4. The sun was low and coming from the upper left side at just the right angle and position to get some nice color. The 1/400 was enough to stop the wings completely as the bird was slowly fanning.