Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 15, 2004, 7:52 PM   #1

Hi, all. I just got my FZ10 and have been trying it out, comparing it to a friend's Nikon 5700. Indoors, his does manage better pics - less noise - but I still like the functionality of the FZ10.

However, today I was looking over some pics and noticed that a maroon bag that's outside shows up as red (greens are overly vibrant, too). I've tried different white balance (auto, sun, and manual), and tried turning saturation and contrast down, but the colors just won't match.

This is my first digital camera (and I didn't really use the other camera we have very much), so I don't know, but surely that's not normal? Unfortunately, my friend had left, so I can't get comparison shots on his 5700, but I called and asked, and he said that doesn't sound right.
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2004, 7:14 AM   #2

Take it back to the shop.
Famo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 7:52 AM   #3

Any chance of posting an image that shows the effect that you have described?

Harryo

Harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 8:43 AM   #4

Youmay also wish to see the images on a different monitor as there is apossibility that your monitor is not properly calibrated.
Old May 16, 2004, 10:35 AM   #5

I just put three shots up on http://webpages.charter.net/battsman5/test_pics (I haven't joined any photo hosting site yet, just now finally got a camera).

His shirt should be more maroon, but it's red. The ball is red, but looks orange. Also,I notice purple at the top of his head.

I'm going to dabble more today. I hope I can get over to another friend's house and compare his C675 with my FZ10. We were both wavering between the Oly and the FZ10, but he was in a hurry (vacation) and wound up getting the C765.

Old May 16, 2004, 11:29 AM   #6

If the colours are so different from reality, it could be something wrong with its sensors. You may ask for a replacement or seek help from Panasonic Bob.
Old May 16, 2004, 1:00 PM   #7

cageyman wrote:
Quote:
His shirt should be more maroon, but it's red. The ball is red, but looks orange. Also,I notice purple at the top of his head.

I have just taken a look at the three pictures that you posted, I hope you dont mind but I downloaded them to my system to check the colour readings, I will of course delete them off my system.

Firstly the shirt that the young boy is wearing when viewed in Picture Window Pro 3 using the colour correction function shows more maroon than red especially in the right shoulder as viewed on screen. If you also check the skin tones and especially the colouring in the ears and lips I would say they are excellent.

I agree about the maroon halo effect in the hair against the whitish background but this was also correctable using the 'chromatic aberration' tool in my imaging program, this sort of affect occurs with all digital cameras to a greater or lesser degree under similiar shooting conditions.

As regards the greens I find that there is no problem with them bearing in mind what appears to be power of the sun, not that we see much of the sun here in the UK!

When I checked the colour readings for the bag it is more maroon than red, I in fact used colour correction in Picture Window Pro 3 to change the colour of the bag to a full-blown red colour. The comparison between the 'maroon' and 'red' bag is quite marked.

The ball you mentioned (in my day they were called space-hoppers) has turned out orangey rather than red but so has the young boys shirt, in that particular picture it could be due to where you took the exposure reading from.

I personally would be happy with the quality of those pictures mabye just tweaking them slightly in an imaging program, to my mind there is nothing wrong with the colours except maybe the last picture.

If you do further testing check your menu settings and make sure that initially the white balance is set to 'auto', colour effect is set to 'off' and under picture adjustments contrast is 'standard', sharpness is 'standard' and saturation is 'standard'.

This will ensure that you basically have a standard image that has not been enhanced by in-camera software, any adjustments to image quality can then be done in an imaging program.

This will give you a better indication as to how the camera is performing.

Harryo

Old May 16, 2004, 2:17 PM   #8

Harryo,

Thanks for all that info! So, are you saying the pictures actually contain the correct information, that they're just not displaying correctly? Does that mean they would likely print correctly?

Or are you saying I should load them into imaging software? I've never done that, is there some "auto" processing that would correct the red to maroon? I have the software that came with the camera (FZ10), and I'll be glad to go buy something (preferably under $100).

So you think the purple above his head was pretty standard for digicams? Like I said, this is my very first weekend of taking digicam shots, and I honestly don't know. I just called a friend, and he's going to let me borrow his Nikon 5700 for comparisons, and I think I can also borrow an Olympus C765, so hopefully, I'll have more data/information this evening.

Thanks again!
Old May 16, 2004, 5:50 PM   #9

Two of the images are fine and should print ok the third would require some adjustments in order to change the colour of the ball and also the shirt.

The monitor that I am using has been calibrated so the colours that I am seeing on my monitor might differ from what you are seeing on your monitor.

If you wish to try adjusting the images in an imaging program (I assume that you are using a PC and not a MAC) try this free one:-

http://www.photofiltre.com/

From the opening window select English and then downloads and select the file,

PhotoFiltre5.6.1 (English version)

There are also plugins that can be added later.

Two of my favourite programs are, Picture Window Pro 3.5

http://www.dl-c.com/Temp/

It can take time to learn but its colour correction features is amongst the best, you can also download a 30-day trial.

The other program worth looking at is PhotoBrush 2.25

http://www.mediachance.com/pbrush/index.html

Initially I would just experiment using PhotoFiltre.

Harryo

Old May 16, 2004, 10:18 PM   #10

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

BTW, an interesting update. I borrowed my friend's 5700 for the day (he's a nice friend!), and we (wife, children, and I) practiced with the FZ10 and 5700 in lots of circumstances.

First surprise was that the colors are exactly the same with both cameras, so there's something weird about the maroon bag and shirt. Also, I'm wearing a teal colored shirt today, and it shows up as blue with either camera.

I haven't printed them yet, we've been busy just trying lots of pics and looking at them.

I'd say the results are a mixed bag. In terms of user-friendliness, the FZ10 wins. Everyone in the family prefers it, and everyone can use it (only I could really use the 5700 in anything other than auto mode).

Image quality was mixed, too. I think the 5700 is giving better color in many cases, but I'm hoping I can compensate with the FZ10. For example, when taking closeups (outside or in), the 5700 meters better and seems to give truer flesh tones, while the FZ10 seems to wash the faces out a tad. But other than that, the two were about identical.

I could zoom just fine with either one and not get blurriness (I did like the extra 4x of the FZ10). I'm not sure the IS makes much difference, but again, that could be us (i.e. both cameras seemed to do fine zoomed in).

Inside, some pics looked better with the 5700 (flash photos seem to wash out more with the FZ10), but some looked better with the FZ10. We decided to simulate watching our children on stage, so we had them far away in the kitchen (which was lit), and we backed as far away as we could (probably 30 feet), and we took photos with and without the flash. In general, we think the FZ10 did better - in fact, we were pleasantly surprised at how good the pics were.

So, I don't know what's going on with the colors, but it doesn't appear to be the FZ10. I'll try the stuff you suggested. Thanks!