Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 18, 2004, 4:20 AM   #1

I am trying to get the FZ10 to perform like a fixed focal length camera with an indefinite depth of field. Basically, I select aperture priority, set the aperture to F 8, lock focus on a subject about 2-3 meters away, then point the camera at another subject a meter or two behind the focal point and release the shutter. In all cases the focus turns out to be soft. I doubt that it is a case of jitter as the test was performed under bright conditions and the shutter speed was in excess of 1/200. This makes me think that F8 does not give sufficient depth of field. Any suggestions or explanations would be appreciated.
mavfz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2004, 8:05 AM   #2

I don't know why you'd ask Bob that. It's not like he's the oracle and the source of all wisdom.

Anyway, my guess is that f/8 just isn't enough to do what you want, and since that's the max the FZ10 will give you, you'll have to have fun some other way.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 4:06 AM   #3

I can't see the point of your experiment, nor any practical value in such settings. ANY CAMERA would produce similar results:roll:
Mike OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 5:42 AM   #4

mavfz10 wrote:
Quote:

This makes me think that F8 does not give sufficient depth of field. Any suggestions or explanations would be appreciated.
I think you will find that f8 will give you more than sufficient depth of field. :-)

What you are trying to achieve is the "Hyperfocal distance", when using f8 and the camera is set at a focal length of 6mm (35mm) and you have focussed on a point some 2.9ft distance away you will then have a depth of field from 1.45ft to infinity.

You should be using manual focus as when you depress the shutter button to obtain an exposure reading the focussing point will alter.

The following website will allow you to input certain parameters so that you can obtain the "Hyperfocal" focussing point for different focal lengths.

The Panasonic FZ10 has a focal length of 6mm to 72mm (35mm to 420mm) so with an LMF (Lens Multiplier Factor) which in the case of the FZ10 is 5.83 you can then calculate the "Hyperfocal" distance.

The LMF is obtained by dividing the 35mm focal length by the cameras actual focal length ie:-

35mm divided by 6mm = 5.83 (LMF figure)

420mm divided by 72mm = 5.83 (LMF figure)

This will becomemuch clearerif you visit:-

http://www.outsight.com/hyperfocal.html#digital

Try inputting some figures into the "Hyperfocal and Depth-of-Field calculator, but remember the "lens focal length" figure must be in the range of 6mm to 72mm and not the 35mm equivalent.

Cheers - Harryo

Harryo is offline   Reply With Quote