Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 20, 2004, 2:18 PM   #1

I'm not sure I understand how the different modes work.

If in "P" mode, I can do program shift, which allows me to change pairings of shutter speed and aperture. The pairings automatically keep on the EV line.

If in "S" mode, I can change the shutter, and the camera changes the aperture to match. If in "A" mode, the other way around.

Since, in all these, the S and A are related, are they really just different approaches to getting the same values?

Even in M mode, if I try to get the exposure line right (which I have yet to do), isn't that again just trying to keep the (S,A) pair right?

I'm a newb, please be patient. :-)

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2004, 2:53 PM   #2

Your assessment is correct. A & S are automatic metering modes and are trying to get the right amount of light to the CCD by adjusting the other variable. Unless you have an EV correction the camera will get the same light to the CCD for a given ISO regardless of mode other than full manual. And in manual you get the same amount of light when you satisfy the meter.

There are reasons to control whether the camera uses a faster shutter with a wider aperture or the other way round. Full aperture blurs the background more (reduces depth of field) and faster shutter freezes action for example. But the end result is the same amount of light to the sensor for a fixed ISO.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 3:13 PM   #3

Thanks! I'm glad I'm at least beginning to grasp some of the principles, then. Now if I can figure out either how to get great shots with the FZ10, or which camera would be the best for me.

Thanks again - your explanation was good.
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote