Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 22, 2004, 9:24 AM   #1

Hi all,
My first post here, I hope it does not seem too presumptuous:O

I have had my FZ10 for only a couple of weeks and I love it, but already I have a list of improvements for the next model.

1. It needs a RAW mode or at least superfine JPEG - I am using the highest quality settings but I can see compression artifacts along edges etc.

2. It needs to remain around 4 to 5 Megapixel resolution but use a larger sensor for lower noise.

3. A/S/M modes should be three different positions on the mode dial, not buried in a menu (even at the expense of losing some of the preset scene modes to make space for them). Also when in one of these modes you should not have to press the exposure button before you can change settings, you should be able to change settings immediately using the 4-way button.

4. please please keep the wonderful 12x leica lens!

5. (optional) increase the LCD screen size to 2.5" like LC1

6. don't shrink it! My large hands have trouble holding smaller cameras.

The above changes would make a great camera, perfect!

Just my $0.02

Peter
12HT75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2004, 12:10 PM   #2

I agree completely. Sounds like you know your way around a digital camera.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 1:59 PM   #3

Yep pretty much what I would do.
jjmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 6:30 AM   #4

Yes, my girlfriend has had a Canon A80 for a few months and I have been playing with that before I got my FZ10. The A80 takes nice photos with fairly low noise, but the 3x zoom leaves you wanting more especially for wildlife photos, and the screen is too small. I have had a film SLR for many years (Canon AV1) which doesn't get much use now:lol:

Peter
Old May 23, 2004, 8:58 AM   #5

Maybe if Panasonic Bob sees this thread, some of the features may make it on to the next model?

Peter
Old May 23, 2004, 9:41 AM   #6

These are EXACTLY the improvements I've been thinking about. I'm just learning about aperture, shutter speed, etc., and it annoys me to no end that I have to take so many steps to change those.

A larger LCD would be *wonderful*, my 45-year old eyes ain't what they used to be

One more thing I'd like to see is the ability to set one or more "My Modes",a set of settings that I could recall at the touch of a button.

flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 9:36 AM   #7

Yes my girlfriend's A80 has two positions for custom settings, but I find I don't use them much as no matter whichever settings you store in them, they will only apply to a limited number of situations. I have found it is much better to respond to various photographic situations 'on-demand', which is why I too find it a pain to have to delve into menus and press extra buttons to use A/S/M modes. The other alternative is to leave the camera on 'P' and let it sort out the required settings, but then shutter speeds are limited.

Peter
Old May 26, 2004, 9:09 AM   #8

I'd agree that the "wishes" expressed here echo most people. I believe you all know that I regularly share your comments with our factory engineers. The final say as to what what features go into the next generation productare determined by many factors that are gathered on a worldwide basis. These include cost factors related to manufacturing, andthe price the intended market will bear. We appreciate that all of you tak the time to share your thoughts and suggestions.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 10:59 AM   #9

Hi Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to read all these sort of posts and respond, we appreciate that too.
As far as price that the market will bear, I paid just over AU$1000 for my FZ10, and I would pay another AU$300-500 for an FZ10 follow-up that had the above features.

Peter
Old May 27, 2004, 2:29 PM   #10

Granted, you would but that "interest" would not be shared by everyone. Clearly, it's quantity - the majority decides such issues.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote