Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 23, 2004, 3:29 PM   #1
BB

After much research and reading many of the messages on this forum (thanks everyone), I have purchased an FZ-10 as my first digital camera. Having little to no experience in photography, I have made my first attempt at taking pictures of some of the many birds around our house.

All of these pictures were taken handheld at 12X zoom in full manual mode with ISO 50, F2.8, & 1/80. I arrived at those settings through mostly trial and error, noticing they seemed to produce the best results of everything I tried.

The two big problems I had were:
(1) The birds were constantly moving, so I needed to use a fast shutter speed.
(2) It was an overcast day and the light often wasn't the best, which caused me to use a far lower shutter speed for capturing the birds while they were eating than needed.

Anyway here are some of the better shots I captured...
Attached Images

BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2004, 3:30 PM   #2
BB

Another view of the jay...
Attached Images

Old May 23, 2004, 3:31 PM   #3
BB

A yellow finch...

Attached Images

Old May 23, 2004, 3:31 PM   #4
BB

A blackbird...
Attached Images

Old May 23, 2004, 3:32 PM   #5
BB

A flicker (kind of woodpecker). Our cat actually spotted this one for me, as I would have never noticed it way up in the tree otherwise...

Attached Images

Old May 23, 2004, 3:34 PM   #6
BB

One question I have is could I use a powerful external flash outdoors when shooting these birds? Would that help on dark days? Or would it just scare all the birds away?
Old May 23, 2004, 5:53 PM   #7

BB wrote:
Quote:
One question I have is could I use a powerful external flash outdoors when shooting these birds? Would that help on dark days? Or would it just scare all the birds away?

Those look pretty good considering the poor light you had to contend with. Yes, you can use a flash, you'll have to see how the birds react to it. I've found it spooks some, but most are OK with it. You can also try upping your EV. I would also try ISO 100.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 6:19 PM   #8

Ignore...

Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 9:07 PM   #9

I took the liberty of doing some post-processing on your flicker photo in Paint Shop Pro. As you can see it turned out very well! Fade correction and some unsharp mask (I also resized to cut down on load time).

flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 12:45 AM   #10

Flakes, beautiful shots. To the author, nice shots and hang in there. You will eventually be able to do what flakes can do. Nice work!

The greatest applause goes to the author.

I wish Guerito well and respect his ideas. I'm sorry that I got carried away with something that wasn't important, yet at the time I thought it was. I wish you well Guerito, and respect your views for sure.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote