Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 26, 2004, 4:10 PM   #11

Thanks, Guerito. I hope to get to try some of those when I get home tonight, and will also try to post some pics.

You're right - closeups look very good. Most of the pics in my back yard look really good as well. It's that less-than-sharp focus on the kids playing, but that very well could be me. In fact, my friend who has the 5700 believes most of the problem pics are my doing.

I do notice purple fringe when zooming in for a portrait mode, but I read somewhere that the solution is to up the f stop (from 2.8), so I'm sure that's not a problem.

Thanks again!
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 6:17 PM   #12

It's a matter of taste, but you could try setting the default sharpness to "sharp." For the kids moving in relatively poor light, try ISO 200 and then get rid of the noise with NoiseNinja. (free trial I think.) The higher shutter speed and smaller f stop you can then use will then sharpen things up for you. Note that with a consumer digital camera, a smaller f stop does NOT make the image sharper, (unlike a film camera) only increases the depth of field. Before other squawk about this, try the experiment for yourselves.

ps how in **** do you get white text? White is not shown as an option.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 8:34 PM   #13

Well, guys, I've taken some more shots since then, many on "P" and they've turned out very well. Some were in a Scout meeting with sunlight streaming in, and overhead lights, and they look very good. Afterwards, all the Scouts were out on a playground, and I took a wide angle shot, then zoomed in, and it's awesome. Great zoom, and it caught them playing!

Today, I went out and picked up a Sunpak 383 external flash, and so far I really like it. I'm able to take nice indoor shots with ISO 50 and 100. Lots to learn on that thing, and the camera in general, but your tips have been great.

I haven't had the chance for another cloudy day and boys playing shot, but I will, and I know it'll be better.

This is a great camera. Maybe some would bemore ready out of the box, I don't know, but this one has such great potential.

Thanks again, everyone, and continued good luck with your own units!

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote