Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 29, 2004, 6:27 PM   #1

Is it possible to make or buy a cheap safe setup to use this camera underwater? I'll be diving or snorkeling in Belize 1st part of June :-)and would love to take some pics of my own both above and below if possible. Assuming I can't get a'safe' cheap solutionquickly, I'd consider using my ol' reliable Epson 850Z with a semi-safe method. I totally an amateurand this is probably one of the very few times I would ever need the 'case', so $$ is amajor concern (plus we leaveJune 6).

Any quick responses one way or the other would be much appreciated. I may end up just using a 'throw away' underwater camera. If so, isFujii better than the Kodak?

TIA, Charlie
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 2:35 PM   #2

Charlie46227 wrote:
Quote:
Is it possible to make or buy a cheap safe setup to use this camera underwater? I'll be diving or snorkeling in Belize 1st part of June :-) and would love to take some pics of my own both above and below if possible.
If it's not already too late, have you tried looking at

http://www.ewa-marine.com/

I have no first-hand experience with their products but they look very interesting.

Dick
rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:07 PM   #3

Thease bag typecases have been around for years, tried one in the late 70's. They are ok for "watersports" i.e. kyaking, sailing etc. They *don't* work for diving (pressure squizes the bag to tight). As for snorkeling, it depends on how deep you can go. If you can get below 10 to 15 ft it will quite working

---

adder
jjmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 6:52 PM   #4

I'd use the "throwaway" underwater camera. Properly protecting a digital camera while divingcould costmore than thecamera itself.If a "cheap" solutionleaks and water gets into the electronics,you'll have a $600 paperweight with a Leica lens on it.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote