Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 2, 2004, 7:32 AM   #1

I'm having a hellua time with it. I 12X...use a tripod..and still cannot seem to get the focus correct.
Any other tips? Thanks.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2004, 10:00 AM   #2

I have the fz1 and the raynox dcr-250. Focus is obtained with the subject about 5-6 inches from the lens. The higher the zoom the shallower the depth of field and the more difficult it is to get maximum focus. Use auto focus. Start with wide angle just to get the greatest dof even though there will be much vignetting. Best to practice on jewelry of coins in bright sunlight. You should be able to do it handheld with the fz10 IS. Increase the zoom to 6x. After locking focus with a half-shutter-press you will find that moving the camera itself physically closer and further just slightly will bring the image into and out of focus. This is the key to getting optimum focus - moving the camera in and out. As you increase the zoom these slight movements will become ever more important. At 12x zoom it is difficult but can be done handheld which gives you more freedom for those slight adjustments. Burst mode can help. Also lots of bright sunlight and no breeze. See http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9013135for some shots with the fz1/dcr250 at different zooms.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 5:03 PM   #3

Thanks Fred. ...and thanks for the link to the other thread. I thimk I'll take a bottle of Valium and slow my hands down a little.. Cheers.

Jim
Old Jun 2, 2004, 6:14 PM   #4

Take your time, Jim. Patience is one of the major ingredients with macros.

Fred
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:36 AM   #5

Got it Fred....

This is a section of a new product I make, and clearly the best way to explain it is in pictures. Remember the 'old days' when a shot like this would cost $2,000+ for the camera/lens...a a couple of days to see if it was OK? (this took 30 minutes...including the time to post to the internet)

Cheers.

Jim
Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:39 PM   #6

Indeed you do, Jim. Now take that new found expertice out to the sunlit garden and see what we can see. Have fun!

Fred
Old Jun 3, 2004, 5:09 PM   #7

FYI: This was 12X in full manual mode and full Sun. It's actually a sandwich of Sunbrella marine canvas (top) - Air Cel and Microfiber.

Luckily, I was also able to move the cloth back/forth to help with the focus. I only took two to get one good one.

Thanks again for the help.

Jim