Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 2, 2004, 8:05 AM   #1

FZ-10a great, responsivecamera. I was able to compare it with Canon PowerShot Pro1. Here aresome aspect, where I find Canon shines in comparison.

1) In FZ-10, there's no display of the actual focus distance, so you can't choose your estimate as the distance. This is especially irritating with manual focus.

2)I foudthe viewfinderto beway tootiny and it's too easy to accidentally change the dioptric adjustment.

3)The fact, that tft-screen can't be flipped makes it suprisingly clumsy on some occasions.

4)In dim light conditions the focusing is a bit difficult.

halinalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2004, 4:57 PM   #2

are those differences worth an extra $400 - 500?
polishpunk68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 6:33 AM   #3

No, butI suppose issues1 and 4 could be fixed with firmware updateand issue 2 with cheap plastic acessory lens. Issue 3 must wait for the next version, I guess
Old Jun 4, 2004, 7:33 AM   #4

polishpunk68 wrote:
Quote:
are those differences worth an extra $400 - 500?
Certainly not for me!

I tried out the Pro a few times trying really hard to like it (since it's got 8 MP and I thought that's what I wanted), but it just isn't worth the extra money.

In fact, given the purple fringing on test shots and the non-stabilised lens, is it worth even $1 more than the FZ10 in real life? Since I also found the physical feel of the Pro ungainly it would be a really hard call if I was offered the choice between the two on an even cost basis!

If I had that extra money and wanted to put it to good use, I think I'd use it on spare batteries and some very big memory cards.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:44 PM   #5
BB

1) Yes, a display of focus distance would be nice, though it's not a deal breaker.

2) Personally I almost never use the viewfinder since the main LCD screen is so much nicer. Your comment about it being easy to change the dioptric adjustment makes no sense to me. On my FZ10 the knob has quite a bit of resistance, making it difficult to accidentally change.

3) I actually prefer a model that doesn't have a tilt/flip screen since it makes the camera's housing more sturdy and less likely to break, especially if dropped.

4) Yes, focusing in dim light can be difficult at times. That is definitely a weakness of the FZ10.
BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 5:37 AM   #6

Some clarifications

1) I noticed, that in "Panasonic DMC FZ-10 rough guide" by David Fong:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/index.html
there is instructions for do-it-yourself Manual focus distance scale:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/...distance-scale

2) For me the viewfinder is the only option in bright sunlight. I especially noticed this when there was still snow on the ground.

4) Without the firmware update the manual mode in dim light conditions is unusable.