Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:16 PM   #11

The thing that people who are thinking about getting a DSLR should consider is the following:

If you buy the Rebel you are buying a camera "body" only. From that point it's a matter of intentions with the camera where one goes next. If the goal is to shoot wildlife or sports, requiring a fast lens and large zoom, it's going to cost many thousands of dollars to fit that camera body with what's necessary to get the shot.

The FZ10, in good light, can get the shot nicely at under a thousand dollar investment.

Another consideration is whether or not your camera body is going to work perfectly with whatever lens name and zoom range you have chosen. I have discovered that there are no absolute guarantees on how this lens will work coupled with that body. After calibrating the Rebel my DSLR seems to work very nicely with the lenses that I have. However, I've had to experiment withand exchange lenses until I got what seemed to be acceptable. It's an ongoing thing with DSLR -- and can be costly -- because one is introducing factors that do not exist with fully operational cameras like the FZ10 that have a specialized telephoto and wide angle lens add on, made especially for the camera. No other options are available and nothing more is needed. The capacity of the wide angle and telephoto, coupled with the FZ10, is all that anyone needs to get a great looking shot outdoors and in good light (using ISO 50).

If you have the money and the patience, go DSLR. If you don't, then I'd personally suggest that you pick up the FZ10 and it's telephoto 1.5, since alone it has a reasonably decent wide angle. That way you are covered over a huge zoom range with a camera that you can carry in a small backpack.

I'm looking forward to getting mine back as a second camera, one that is always at the ready to get that shot that otherwise would have been missed.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 4:39 PM   #12

Norm, I agree with you that money & time were no issue, then dSLR are better option but like you say, they do weight more and are bigger. FZ series are superb cameras for the money.

But I have to disagree on the quality of pictures from a fz10 vs a canon zoom in same focal length range. Assuming all params like ISO, aperture, shutter same, dSLR will still give you that nice noise free image, a much better bokeh.

Can you post some side by side comparison of your fz10 vs rebel pictures. I was considering rebel but it's got too many issues for bird photograpghy, so I am looking at 10D. Haven't decided if I want 100-400L or the bigma but bigma seems too heavy for me and has no IS.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:12 AM   #13

I have both the Bigma and the 100-400L IS. If I had to choose one over the other, I would keep the Bigma. The Canon has a 4x focal length vs. the Bigma's 10x. The quality of the pictures on my copies puts the Bigma in front of the Canon. With the Bigma, I can usually get by without any other lens in the field. With the Canon, I also like to have my 70-200L 2.8 IS, and I *still* don't get the coverage that I do with the Bigma. Also, the Bigma is about $600 cheaper than the Canon 100-400.

Having said all that, I just listed $3800US worth of equipment at discount. I paid $500US for my FZ10 and $80 for my Canon TL-55 and get greater coverage at 1/10 the weight. Sure, the pictures on the DSLR are better, but the FZ10 is a far better value. Are you really going to be printing larger than 8x10? If not, I would recommend the FZ10.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:45 AM   #14

I would agree with you, bobby, that the background blur looks better. I would also like to say that if I had my FZ10 with 1.5 extender I could take a shot of an animal (at ISO 50 or 100) that I would only "dream" of taking with my 50-500 Sigma. And, if I chose to put an extender on my Sigma (and I have the 2x extender), I would not be excited at all with the results of such a slow lens. In fact, the other day I hoped against hope that I would get something acceptable with this combination. It was pathetic as I'm sure you understand since the 50-500 is not a fast lens...yet it and the Rebel costs much more than the FZ10 with 1.5 converter. I would love you to check out my test site on the 1.5 Panasonic converter with the FZ10 (at 50 ISO, which isn't difficult when you have a 2.8 across the board aperture):

http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/extender.htm

In order for me to get photos like this from a DSLR with lenses I would have to spend many thousands of dollars. I'm happy to ignore the bokeh and capture the bird at a much less demanding cost.

Guerito, Amen, and I agree with you on the excellent value of this FZ10 camera. Heck, I miss it immensely as it is now on warranty repair. I can guarantee to you and all that I won't be trading it in when I get it back. I'll hang it on my neck as a "second" important wildlife camera, one that rocks when needed!
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:51 AM   #15

Hey, guys, we just returned from a great trip to Banff, where I actually got to catch two Bald Eagles. They were very far away, and my shots are blurry, but my friend's standard Canon Rebel didn't even catch them.

On the other hand, on one trail, we met some nice people from Denmark, and I took a photo of them with their Digital Canon Reble - man, that thing was sweet! I loved the bright view finder. Maybe when prices and weights come down ...

But you sure are tempting me. I think, next time I take a vacation, I'm going to buy a 1.5 or soextender/teleconverter (or whatever it's called). That would have been awesome in a few shots. In our case, I'd say I wouldn't need it for 90% or more of my shots, but in the 10% or so where I would, it would be great.
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 2:05 AM   #16

I'd suggest that you read some of Shene's posts on extenders. He knows his stuff and will be a really good information source for you.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 1:44 PM   #17

Thanks for the reminder - I have it bookmarked, but had forgotten it. Very good stuff.
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote